Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nausea with mac screen

Every time I get on our iMac 21.5", I get nauseous. It has gotten progressively worse. It used to be that I could work on it for 15-20 minutes before feeling this way. Now I only have to be on it for a minute for me to get nauseous. I am totally fine on my PC. It does not happen with my ipad or my iphone 8plus. We have adjusted refresh rates, brightness, and minimized the display screen thinking that it was the vastness of the display that was creating issues since I wear reading glasses, but nothing has helped. Any suggestions or explanations?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 25, 2019 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2019 4:00 PM

These kind of comments aren't helpful -- the poster is not sick; these problems aren't happening on other devices. Maybe other users on this forum have had similar issues, like myself. I'm glad he posted it here so I know I'm not alone. Something's up with the device or the interface.

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 10, 2019 4:11 PM in response to dialabrain

Dialabrain, you are certainly right that not everyone is equally sensitive, but that doesn't mean that this forum is not the right venue for such a question. In fact, it's totally valid to ask that question in a forum and see if someone else has a simple solution the poster hasn't thought of -- that's what communities like this are for.

Mar 10, 2019 3:37 PM in response to srj1002

Hi srj1002, I bought an iMac 21.5 (Retina display) last week and had the same problem. Let me ask you this: are you using the Spaces feature of macOS? In other words, where you set up multiple desktops and can swipe between them? The visual effect of this is a dramatic sideways motion, and I am beginning to think that my nausea may actually have been caused by this feature and not by the display itself. I'm still testing it but I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Mar 10, 2019 4:40 PM in response to dialabrain

I apologize; saying "not helpful" was too harsh -- I realize you are trying to be helpful and point the poster in the right direction :) What I should have said is, I think we should be open minded to the possibility that there could be a non-medical solution as well. Discontinuing the use of "Spaces" was helpful for me (another note to the OP: You could try checking the "reduce motion" box in the Accessibility > Display window to get rid of some of the animations)

Mar 19, 2019 8:53 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you for your concern. I have spoken to my eye doctor and to my internist. I have always been prone to motion sickness so I originally suspected that may have to do with this predisposition, but to date have not found a study to substantiate this. Our tech guy said he's seeing these symptoms pop up in varying degrees with the newer macs, that's why he made the adjustments listed above. I also spoke to a few of the people at the genius bar when I returned the mac I bought last month. Two of them had other customers with the same experience. Hopefully, I don't have a brain tumor or something else. Just fyi, I did have an mri last fall. No tumor. No joke.

Nausea with mac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.