Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro - GotoMeeting - Powerpoint

Hi there,

Recently an issue popped-up for users using a MacBookPro, GoToMeeting (GTM) and Powerpoint (quite a common combination).

On a MacBookPro the combination results in Powerpoint to hang / not respond. The issue is also placed in MS-Office and GotoMeeting forums but thought it would be helpful to look for help here as well.

I have done quite some extensive testing, using several devices in order to narrow down the fault options;

In all cases used the same powerpoint presentation!!

On my MacBookPro (late 2013)

8GB RAM

Videocard: Intel Iris 1536 MB

macOS High Sierra

GTM v8.32.0 Build 9167

Powerpoint: 16.17

Result: after a while powerpoint not responding. The viewers still see my mouse moving but nothing else.

If you do not use presentation mode and simply scroll through the slides it stays a live, so presenting mode is a show stopper

On a Windows laptop

GTM v8.32.0 Build 9167

Organized 2 sessions with external attendees

No problem at all

On an iMac

16 GB RAM

macOS High Sierra

GTM v8.32.0 Build 9167

Powerpoint: 16.17

No problem at all

On a MacBook 12inch (early 2016)

8 GB RAM

Videocard: Intel HD graphics 515 1536 MB

macOS High Sierra

GTM v8.32.0 Build 9167

Powerpoint: 16.16

No problem at all

In short: issue pops up on;

- MacBookPro

- using GTM in screen sharing mode

- using powerpoint in presenting mode

- when other people join the GTM sessions

I also have the idea the problem is somewhat related to the fact the system resources are being stressed too much (fan is doing overtime most of the time when powerpoint does not respond)

Any help / suggestions are (very) welcome

MacBook Pro with Retina display, IOS 10.13.6

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 7:56 AM

FOUND IT jihaaaa

Resolution:

Open GTM

Start meeting

Open Powerpoint

Select Open

Navigate (using Powerpoint !!!) to the presentation you want to open/share

Open it

In GTM select Screenshare

In powerpoint select Presentation mode

What you should NOT do is using Finder to navigate to your presentation, opening it (and by doing so opening Powerpoint).

That’s the only difference

Pfffff glad I found it but it was a needle in a haystack

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2018 7:56 AM in response to pgjfromzevenaar

FOUND IT jihaaaa

Resolution:

Open GTM

Start meeting

Open Powerpoint

Select Open

Navigate (using Powerpoint !!!) to the presentation you want to open/share

Open it

In GTM select Screenshare

In powerpoint select Presentation mode

What you should NOT do is using Finder to navigate to your presentation, opening it (and by doing so opening Powerpoint).

That’s the only difference

Pfffff glad I found it but it was a needle in a haystack

Aug 14, 2018 4:39 AM in response to Klaus1

Thanks for your response but I think it's a bit to easy as you state it, besides that (as mentioned) I of course also placed this topic on the MS and GotoMeeting forums. Why I want to brings topic to Apple's attention ? It seems that the issue occurs under specific circumstances ... on MacBookPro's which are from 2013 - 2014, the similarity I find could be the Intel Iris 1536 MB videocard. The combination using GotoMeeting in screensharing and powerpoint in presentation mode seems to cause ????? no idea what... resulting in Powerpoint not responding / restarting. Could be that GotoMeeting and/or Powerpoint is eating up too much system resources but could also be that the MacBookPro 2013 - 2014 cannot cope with the latest and greatest software (combinations), hope this is not the case. My MBP lately also gets very hot and the fan every now and then does overtime.

MacBookPro - GotoMeeting - Powerpoint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.