Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice with getting new iMac and Working with external drive ?

I currently have a late 2014 iMac. It has the 3TB fusion drive. I have about 1.9 TB loaded into it already. Mostly photos, videos, and music and apps.

I want to upgrade to the latest iMac. I feel like I am locked into another 3 TB fusion drive but I would love to stay with all SSD. But that only goes to 1TB.

Is there a way to purchase the 1TB or smaller SSD (in the iMac) and put everything else on External SSD's or faster HDs without sacrificing performance? I am not sure of the ports available, and their speeds, on the new imac's and how they compare to a hardwired drive in the computer.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 25, 2019 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2019 10:44 AM

Yes, you can do this by simply buying external SSD's or fast HDD's. The ports on a new iMac are capable of running at very high speeds almost as fast as the internal SSD. All the external ports are USB-C/Thunderbolt 3.

Similar questions

1 reply

Advice with getting new iMac and Working with external drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.