Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using vertical alignment in pages for Mac

Hi, I am using an Imac MacOs Mojave 10.14.3, and Pages version 7.3.

I am trying to produce a catalogue whereby the text is aligned vertically on the page. I want to lock the text in so that it appears at the bottom of the page (so the text starts quite near the bottom) and when I subsequently want to add text I want the bottom line of text to remain in place and the top line of text to move up as I type. If I go into format - body - alignment I can align the text left and right but the vertical alignment buttons are greyed out. They remain greyed out even if I highlight the body of text I want to align.

At present I move the text down manually by pressing the return button until the bottom line of text moves to the next page, I then go back and delete the first blank line above the text to bring the body of the text back onto one page. As you can imagine a very laborious process. There must be a short cut but I just can't find it.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

Any suggestions

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2019 3:04 AM

However, thinking of using text boxes. I have now found that I can insert a text box and size it to my rulers, type in text and then justify it to the bottom of the box. Yay. Problem solved.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 26, 2019 7:02 AM in response to TNMO

Text can only align vertically if it is in a Text box, and the Text box is rotated 90°. You can only lock a Text box if its Object Placement is changed to Stay on Page. It is a good idea to set the Text Box's Text Wrap to None too so it will play nice with other nearby objects. You will also find the sizing, positioning, and rotation tools on the Arrange panel.

As expected, once you lock the Text box, you will have to toggle UnLock, expand the vertical size of the Text box to allow more vertical text growth, and then Lock it again.

In the following example, I have already vertically expanded the Text box to allow for northbound text expansion.

Feb 27, 2019 2:58 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for this but it seems a very complicated workaround. I need at least 50 different pages of text and will be adding to them constantly so having to rotate the text bos each time will take for ever. You can right or left justify text very simply and there are greyed out boxes for vertical top or bottom justification of text. I just can't get the bottom justification button to "un-grey" so I can use it.

thanks for trying to help out though.

Using vertical alignment in pages for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.