Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No instant mute all media sound on iPhone?

Why isn't there a mute button for all media sound e.g for streaming videos? No, I'm not satisfied with the Volume Down/Up in the Control Centre. Please…(snorting with contempt).

And I don't mean the hardware button either. That one doesn't affect the media sound. At. All. A simple software "Mute all media sound" button in the Control Centre, is that too much to ask for? And there's no app for it, either. Apparently Apple has no support for software developers to mute the media sound. All that is offered is to painstakingly slide the Volume Down in the Control Centre, not to mention the Accessibility> AssistiveTouch> Volume Down which takes forever in comparison. And then there's the reverse procedure to crank the volume up again, ridiculously time consuming regardless of method. Not to mention that this makes it desperately difficult to quickly return to the same volume as before, a volume that you most probably had set to the exact level that you wanted, just to watch it go down the drain…

The only explanation I can think of is that Apple has an unholy alliance with the ad industry, so that muting the media sound while the ads are playing will be so utterly gruelling that in the end, it's just too exhausting for you to do that. Although I really hope that Apple's reason for this lack of flexibility isn't as sinister as that would be.

iPhones' software design has got to be the most rigid among smartphones on the planet. Yes, it's phenomenal in most instances and I'm the first to admit that, definitely. But I have found several enormously annoying software design shortcomings quite comparable to this one, and many many people are complaining about them just like I do. Doesn't Apple care at all for people becoming more and more frustrated as they hit a wall of silence every time that they complain? They don't even allow for seeing how many that takes the time sending feedback about any one singular issue(a labor that they should be grateful for), so it's impossible to know if there's any point at all sending complaints via feedback… so sad…

z

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 28, 2019 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2019 1:18 PM

Hi seanfromllanelli, thanks for taking the time and no offense but AssistiveTouch has already been discussed, please read my latest answer to sergekills: since AssistiveTouch doesn't have a mute media action it can't provide a solution, that is unless you know something I don't? And BTW FYI I'm already using AssistiveTouch all the time.

I obviously appreciate your input but like I just told Philly_Phan: Please, try things out rigorously before you suggest them to others. I'm saying this with the most sincerely felt and well-meaning intentions because no one has the time to try every single advice they get and I certainly don't, and I'd hate to discourage you from contributing by suggesting that your input is useless, so my advice to you is to conserve your energy for answers you feel more comfortable with. More sketchy ideas like "possibly do it" are typically more welcome when all more promising venues has been exhausted and the thread has gone cold and depleted of advice.

And as you can well see, poorly tested ideas clutters the thread with a lot of irrelevant and misleading reading making it unnecessarily difficult to get to what's essential. And now you've cluttered the thread royally with your screen shot. One last advice, don't supply images without being asked, they're distracting and usually not appreciated. Take it from someone who's learned that the hard way, from an administrator no less…

Thanks 🙏

z

[Edited by Host]

Similar questions

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2019 1:18 PM in response to seanfromllanelli

Hi seanfromllanelli, thanks for taking the time and no offense but AssistiveTouch has already been discussed, please read my latest answer to sergekills: since AssistiveTouch doesn't have a mute media action it can't provide a solution, that is unless you know something I don't? And BTW FYI I'm already using AssistiveTouch all the time.

I obviously appreciate your input but like I just told Philly_Phan: Please, try things out rigorously before you suggest them to others. I'm saying this with the most sincerely felt and well-meaning intentions because no one has the time to try every single advice they get and I certainly don't, and I'd hate to discourage you from contributing by suggesting that your input is useless, so my advice to you is to conserve your energy for answers you feel more comfortable with. More sketchy ideas like "possibly do it" are typically more welcome when all more promising venues has been exhausted and the thread has gone cold and depleted of advice.

And as you can well see, poorly tested ideas clutters the thread with a lot of irrelevant and misleading reading making it unnecessarily difficult to get to what's essential. And now you've cluttered the thread royally with your screen shot. One last advice, don't supply images without being asked, they're distracting and usually not appreciated. Take it from someone who's learned that the hard way, from an administrator no less…

Thanks 🙏

z

[Edited by Host]

Feb 28, 2019 10:43 AM in response to sergekills

I have limited mobility I forgot to mention that, so this is probably more of an issue for me than for most. And voice control is even slower so that's not an option. I would most of all like to have a small movable mute media button always on the screen just like AssistiveTouch. If a mute media action was added to AssistiveTouch it could actually be customized for Single-Tap giving me exactly that.

But thanks for the input, it's food for thought that I should supply an example to motivate my reservations for the current state if I'm sending feedback.👍

A button is better. When I start a streaming video, on many sites it takes off with a commercial with extra loud volume. I hate loud commercials and if I forget to turn off the volume before I start the video I want to turn off the sound as quickly as possible and even though to you, opening the Control Centre and then sweeping on a slider is just as good as a button, to me it's not because even when the Control Centre's up it requires much more concentration and takes considerably more time than a button would for me (and more than it takes for you, apparently), and I don't want to concentrate more than is necessary just for killing the sound.

While the commercial's running unless it's just a few seconds long, I like to read elsewhere on the page because I don't even want to look at commercials. Next problem, when I estimate that the commercial's soon over I want the sound back on again. Then there's two problems: of course, I can pause the video first but that typically means first having to scroll up or down on the page to the video box before hitting the pause button and that takes a lot more time and also with no sound at all so that's not an option, and I must be quick because if I miss the sound in the beginning of the actual video I'm viewing, I typically can't rewind lest the commercial starts again and I'm back on square one. And two, like I said it's "difficult to quickly return to the same volume as before".

So in conclusion yeah, it may not be that big of a deal to most but it certainly is to me.

z

Feb 28, 2019 11:25 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Well, I can comfort you by telling that this "advice" is ubiquitous all over the internet. So please don't spread it further. And please, try things out rigorously before you suggest them to others. As you can well see, it clutters the thread with a lot of irrelevant and misleading reading making it unnecessarily difficult to get to what's essential.

Have a nice one,

z 😴

Feb 28, 2019 1:12 PM in response to zwaa

I obviously appreciate your input and I don't mean to be a d*ck about it

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that without then proceeding to be one.

This is a user-to-user all volunteer support forum. Once you've helped as many people as Philly or Sean, then you might have some credibility when you criticize how people try to help you.

Feb 28, 2019 1:34 PM in response to seanfromllanelli

Ah, that explains it.

The mute action is a soft access to the physical mute switch at top left on your iPhone. If you open up AssistiveTouch and look at the mute icon while operating the switch you'll see that the icon changes accordingly, that's the answer.

About shortcuts I have no idea what you mean but unless there's an actual setting somewhere (which there isn't AFAIK) then there's nowhere to shortcut to, right?

😁z

Feb 28, 2019 5:11 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Hi Philply_Phan!

I've noticed that you haven't reacted well to some of my posts and you're welcome to discuss with me how best to address your objections. It would seem that most of your agitation stems from a couple of misunderstandings. I've been looking at my profile but haven't seen any setting that enables me to allow you sending me private messages so it would save me time if you know how. As for helping out, where do I sign up and how do I pick posts for my areas of knowledge?

I've also replied to IdrisSeabright on the same subject.

It seems that to begin with, you didn't like that I asked you to stop giving out advice that you haven't tried yourself. And when I told you that you were wrong, you weren't very polite. So you actually started our little disagreement right there. If you had been just a little bit more humble and not so sure of yourself, I would never have come down on you so hard. But what's done is done and I apologise anyway.

It seems that seanfromllanelli have if not agreed with then at least accepted my views, or maybe he just doesn't care and that's cool too, anyway he hasn't retorted like you've chosen to do. And he and I left off on a good note so I don't see a problem there.

I've actually made a great effort not to be rude, but then again I'm not natively English speaking so maybe I come across as more of a **** than I am. Believe it or not but the "don't mean to be a **** about it" was meant as *a joke* (The Orville taught me: blame Seth McFarlane) but I understand that some in the English speaking world are very sensitive about some so called "4 letter words": where I come from, not so much. I also can't help but feeling a little perturbed that you're actually upset because I called myself a ****, it would've made more sense if I had called someone else a ****.

But then again, I've on occasion been described as "smooth as a safe" and for that I apologise.

Then there's the matter of "And now you've cluttered the thread royally with your screen shot" that I wrote to seanfromllanelli.

I don't really see what your problem is with that. Is it not cluttered in your opinion? It really looks like that to me. I could've asked him to edit his post and remove it, too, but I refrained from that. I didn't call him names. I just called it as I saw it.  But more importantly: why are you upset on someone else's behalf? I'm sure seanfromllanelli can speak for himself if he wants to.

Finally, when you suggested that I've used "repeated offensive comments", well, I'm really sorry but I in turn take offense to that.

I haven't called anyone names. All that I've done is pointing out that you can save us *both* time with a couple of changes, or more accurately improvements. I've actually worked as a second level support at IBM for several years when it was still a thing in the personal computing device world so I know some things about that. If you have a problem with it I'm really sorry but what do you want me to do? I never intended to offend anyone, I just called it as I saw it and if that offended you then IMHO you're making much ado about nothing. But I apologise anyway and hope that we can get passed this, the sooner the better.

My best regards,

Anders

PS. In the interest of putting all cards on the table when I wrote to you "RTF question first" that was a (bad?) joke too, it was an allusion to RTFM. Thank God you didn't pick up on that… *I'm joking*😉

Feb 28, 2019 5:21 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi IdrisSeabright!

This has gone way out of proportion.

As for helping out, where do I sign up and how do I pick posts for my areas of knowledge?

I had no idea it was such a touchy subject asking people to save their own energy. You have a lot of rules for how to behave and why shouldn't that also include how best to keep the threads tidy and the posts relevant? If you think I'm demanding I dare you to read the rules on Cygwin. If those doesn't offend you then nothing will.

I've noticed that Philply_Phan haven't reacted well to some of my posts and I've replied to him separately.

It seems that seanfromllanelli have if not agreed with then at least accepted my views, or maybe he just doesn't care and that's cool too, anyway he hasn't retorted like Philply_Phan have chosen to do. And he and I left off on a good note so I don't see a problem there.

I've actually made a great effort not to be rude, but then again I'm not natively English speaking so maybe I come across as more of a **** than I am. Believe it or not but the "don't mean to be a **** about it" was meant as *a joke* (The Orville taught me: blame Seth McFarlane) but I understand that some in the English speaking world are very sensitive about some so called "4 letter words": where I come from, not so much. I also can't help but feeling a little perturbed that you're actually upset because I called myself a ****, it would've made more sense if I had called someone else a ****.

I'm actually a nice guy once you get to know me, but I'm also quite frustrated by constantly coming across same old myths, misunderstandings, incorrect statements and messy threads etc so I'd happily discuss how best to achieve a better standard for the forum threads without stepping on anyone's toes or hurting someone's feelings if you feel up for it. I've been looking at my profile but haven't seen any setting that enables me to allow you sending me private messages so it would save me time if you know how.

My best regards,

Anders

Feb 28, 2019 5:32 PM in response to zwaa

Hi IdrisSeabright!
This has gone way out of proportion.
As for helping out, where do I sign up and how do I pick posts for my areas of knowledge?

You have signed up. You're a member of the forums just like the rest of us. You can answer whatever questions you think are in your areas of knowledge. And, as long as you stay within the terms of use, you can answer them however you chose.

I also can't help but feeling a little perturbed that you're actually upset because I called myself a ****, it would've made more sense if I had called someone else a ****.

I find the use of profanity and vulgarity distasteful and inappropriate in civil conversation. As my mother used to say on those rare occasions that, as a teenager, I made the mistake of using such language in her hearing, "I'm sure someone as intelligent as you could find a better way of expressing yourself."

I've been looking at my profile but haven't seen any setting that enables me to allow you sending me private messages so it would save me time if you know how.

These forums have no PM feature.

No instant mute all media sound on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.