Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder is closed, but still appears in Cmd+Tab palette

If I open Finder and close it, it is still available in the Cmd+Tab palette. When selecting it, all windows are unactivated, but no active Finder window pops up. This happened with other applications (e.g. Preview).

Here is how it looks: https://youtu.be/3K7M4P4W3Ik.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2019 8:20 PM

Thanks, I see that. What I don't get is why Finder is shown in the Cmd + Tab palette though there are no open windows. And when I select Finder in the palette, it does not do anything. So it's just a useless piece on the palette.

7 replies

Mar 6, 2019 9:00 PM in response to stasdeep

The HUD (heads up display) command tab is a great way to see all running apps. If Finder is not running you have big trouble.

The Finder is the first thing that you see when your Mac finishes starting up. It opens automatically and stays open as you use other apps. It includes the Finder menu bar at the top of the screen and the desktop below

When you are on the Desktop try command N

This can be changed in Finder>Preferences>General. Use it to your advantage.

From the Finder>Go> you can see a list of keyboard shortcuts to other directories.

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 6, 2019 8:47 PM in response to stasdeep

Yes, but the Finder isn't closed. It is never closed. It is always open and running. It may not have any windows open, but it is still open.

If the app has no windows open, then there would be nothing to show. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to you. Just cmd-O or cmd-N to open a window and use the app you've switched into for whatever reason you switched to it.

What window do you expect it to open when you switch to it if it doesn't have any open documents? I wouldn't expect a window to appear without me asking for one.

Finder is closed, but still appears in Cmd+Tab palette

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.