Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unchecking "Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications" in Safari does NOT stop websites asking

On my Mac (running Mohave), in Safari in Preferences > Websites > Notifications, deselecting the option "Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications" does NOT stop websites asking me permission to send me notifications.

For example, if I go to this website, https://www.businessinsider.com the website asks me for notification permission as shown in the image below, even though the notification permission option is not selected in Safari preferences.

Why are websites still asking me for permission to send notifications when I have switched off this option?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 3:00 AM

Hip89, nope, it is a major problem. It shows the quality of QA in Apple: the simple option not working for years (yep, you can find a report about this issue here, at Communities, from 2015).

I've reproduced the issue on mine MBP 2013, and three Macs of my collegues, with different OS versions (Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave).

I've filed a bugreport using bugreport.apple.com, and got a response: "Engineering has determined that your bug report (49xxxxxx) is a duplicate of 19xxxxxx and will be closed". The issue number gives a hint on how old the original bug is. They don't give an access to an older issue, so I can't check whether they tried to fix it at all.

So what we got at the bottom line: bad user experience and uncertainty of the issue state – if it abandoned or in progress 😣

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2019 3:00 AM in response to Hip89

Hip89, nope, it is a major problem. It shows the quality of QA in Apple: the simple option not working for years (yep, you can find a report about this issue here, at Communities, from 2015).

I've reproduced the issue on mine MBP 2013, and three Macs of my collegues, with different OS versions (Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave).

I've filed a bugreport using bugreport.apple.com, and got a response: "Engineering has determined that your bug report (49xxxxxx) is a duplicate of 19xxxxxx and will be closed". The issue number gives a hint on how old the original bug is. They don't give an access to an older issue, so I can't check whether they tried to fix it at all.

So what we got at the bottom line: bad user experience and uncertainty of the issue state – if it abandoned or in progress 😣

Mar 6, 2019 8:06 AM in response to Hip89

Hi Hip89!

I understand that you’re still getting requests for permission to send notifications in Safari despite choosing to disallow them, and I'm happy to help. To isolate this issue further, please test to see if this issue occurs in safe mode and in a new user account:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Cheers!

Mar 6, 2019 10:14 AM in response to Hip89

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Mar 6, 2019 8:12 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina, thanks very much for volunteering to help get to the bottom of this problem.

I tried both in safe mode, and in a brand new administrator account I just created on my Mac, and the issue still persists on both cases. In Safari I still get the website asking me for permission to send notifications.

Mar 7, 2019 5:22 PM in response to Eric Root

I did try turning off Safari extensions, but still no joy.

It's not that this is a major problem, because not that many websites ask for permissions to send notifications; but I just find it strange that a preference option no longer works in a Mac app. I've never come across a preference option failing to work in any app I've used on the Mac, and I've been a Mac user for 25 years.

I am able to block asking for permission in Firefox, but not Safari.

Unchecking "Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications" in Safari does NOT stop websites asking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.