Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix a water-damaged iPhone XS Max?

I dropped my iPhone XS Max in the pool and quickly recovered it, it was in the water for probably a minute or two and it was less than 1 meter in depth, I got a notification to tell me that Face ID wasn't working because of an issue with the True Depth camera, the screen began flickering and then went green with the Apple logo when I restarted it. It has not turned on since. What are my options? Apple said publicly that the iPhone would be fine if it was dropped in water and quickly recovered. Not wanting to take it to the Apple store and face costly repairs, or should I wait a bit longer and charge then power it on?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 10:50 PM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2019 12:22 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Phil Schiller said at the iPhone XS/XS Max launch "So if you happen to be hanging by the pool, drop your phone in the water... don't worry, dive down, grab it, rinse it, let it dry, you'll be fine " I know that quote isn't a warranty or guarantee of any kind but it described my situation exactly so I was surprised to find out that it didn't really hold true.

Mar 5, 2019 12:16 AM in response to jontynz

Apple never said it "would be fine" if dropped in water.

Apple has long stated:

Water and other liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty - Apple Support

They explicitly say (emboldening mine):

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

iPhone XS - Technical Specifications - Apple

How do I fix a water-damaged iPhone XS Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.