Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired keyboard refuses to work on iMac

Nothing works, uplugged everything, every USB port is working as my bluetooth mouse works in all USB ports but the wired keyboard does not work in any of the working USB ports, even with the mouse disconnected.

Anyone else have this problem

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 5, 2019 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2019 8:33 AM

The Mac I am using is the one in my profile. I answered your questions; here they are again.

----------

Mar 5, 2019 1:17 PM in response to ProbsRus

The USB ports are working for everything except the keyboard on the back of the iMac. Yes, its the iMac I said it was on, and the Bluetooth mouse has a dongle that plugs into a USB port. And yes its a brand new keyboard purchased today. I'll try the NVRAM links above & report back. thanks all.

----------

I just bought the keyboard yesterday at the apple store, I can't get any more specific, so I go grab the thing to see if there is a model number, and there I see on the back a little switch on the right that turns the keyboard on and off.

not sure why apple would add an on/off switch to their new wired keyboards, that also have a lightning connector now, no cord sticking out the back.

I solved my own problem.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2019 8:33 AM in response to ProbsRus

The Mac I am using is the one in my profile. I answered your questions; here they are again.

----------

Mar 5, 2019 1:17 PM in response to ProbsRus

The USB ports are working for everything except the keyboard on the back of the iMac. Yes, its the iMac I said it was on, and the Bluetooth mouse has a dongle that plugs into a USB port. And yes its a brand new keyboard purchased today. I'll try the NVRAM links above & report back. thanks all.

----------

I just bought the keyboard yesterday at the apple store, I can't get any more specific, so I go grab the thing to see if there is a model number, and there I see on the back a little switch on the right that turns the keyboard on and off.

not sure why apple would add an on/off switch to their new wired keyboards, that also have a lightning connector now, no cord sticking out the back.

I solved my own problem.

Mar 5, 2019 11:15 AM in response to Chris Winkler1

The UPS isn't going to be a factor, especially since your iMac is powering on and apparently working except for the USB port.

My original question remains. What are the makes/models of the keyboards you are using?

Your profile indicates you have a 27-inch iMac with a Retina display. Is that the iMac you are experiencing issues with? You said in your initial post that "my bluetooth mouse works in all USB ports." Since a bluetooth mouse wouldn't normally use the USB port except possibly for charging what did you mean by this comment? Are you using a non-Apple mouse that requires the use of a USB dongle that is plugged into one of the ports?

I suggest booting into safe mode to see if the issue persists. Safe mode is a handy troubleshooting tool for use in situations like this where software may be interfering with the hardware.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

It also never hurts to try rebooting the iMac and resetting the NVRAM as suggested by den.thed in a situation like this to see if the problem resolves itself.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Mar 5, 2019 10:42 AM in response to ProbsRus

Brand new after my old one stopped working on the back USB ports and only on an external hub. Went out of town and old one did not work, new one does not work anywhere. I'll check the system report, though again, 2 keyboards, one brand new. I doubt the new one is defective. Actually I just plugged it into my laptop, which I am sending this from and I am typing with the new keyboard, so its not the keyboard.

I am on a UPS and I upgraded to a stronger one, might the UPS not be providing enough power to power the USB ports on the Mac? Though why would it work for a while on a USB hub, and all of a sudden it does not work? What started all this is a crash by SnagIt using an older version that froze the computer. After that the old keyboard no longer worked on the back of the iMac and only on a hub.

Quite frustrating!

Mar 5, 2019 1:28 PM in response to Chris Winkler1

I must be missing something. I still can't find where you stated which model iMac you are using other than the one listed in your profile. Many people never update their profiles or post questions regarding systems other than what is listed in their profile. It really would help to know which exact model you are using.

The other question that was never answered is the make/model of the keyboards you are trying to use. This is important to know because all iMac's have shipped with wireless keyboards as the default since around 2009 unless the customer overrides the default and switches to a USB version. At this point I am going to assume that you are using non-Apple USB keyboards since you are also using a non-Apple mouse too. Without know the specific info it's difficult to provide specific suggestions. Have you tried the keyboard (USB? Bluetooth?) that came with your iMac when it was purchased?

We are all volunteers trying to help people when they encounter problems. The help you receive is only going to be as good as the information you provide. The more detail, the more likely you will get the help you need.

Mar 5, 2019 4:52 PM in response to Chris Winkler1

I give up. I'm not sure how you can expect help from people when you provide no answers to the questions previously asked, and the information you do provide contradicts with previous information given. It's obvious you are frustrated, but unless you can take the time to provide the other user's like yourself, who are volunteering their time in these discussion forums, with the the requested information, then there's not much we can do to help.

I have nothing more to offer until you take the time to provide the previously requested information. I am jumping out of this discussion. I wish you well in your pursuit of a solution. It may be best for you to contact Apple for support, or take it in to a service provider or Apple store so that you can speak directly to someone.

Mar 6, 2019 8:48 AM in response to Chris Winkler1

Glad to hear your problem was solved. FYI, here is a listing of all iMacs and there are/were 5k models in several years which may or may not have different hardware which may or may not have an impact on the problem solving process. So, it is very helpful to be very specific. As well, many posters have outdated info in their profile.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html

Wired keyboard refuses to work on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.