Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my health data from my old phone?

So I just bought an iPhone XR (moved from an iPhone 7 Plus). I have years worth of weight and BP data in the health app but after setting up my XR from iCloud backup also fly previous health data is not on the new phone. What happened and how can I get my (previous) health data on my new iPhone?

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 5, 2019 8:30 PM

10 replies

Mar 6, 2019 3:46 PM in response to Community User

I will say it again, and I am right. If you are syncing health data (the switch is ON) the health data will not be included in any backup.

If you are NOT syncing health data, the health data WILL be included in both encrypted iTunes backups and iCloud backups.

I really do know what I am talking about. Perhaps the support article you quoted could be clearer, but what is written is what I said if you read it carefully.

Now you are certainly free to ignore me if you so choose, but I am right.

BTW, this article-->About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support is clearer. Specifically:

iCloud backups include nearly all data and settings stored on your device. iCloud backups don't include:

• Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iCloud Photos, iMessages, Voice Memos, text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages, and Health data*

Mar 6, 2019 2:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Just so you're aware @LawrenceFinch, iCloud doesn't backup health data by default (has to be turned on in settings).

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428.

It doesn’t include information already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memos, shared photosiCloud Photos, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

Mar 6, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Cgjheru

As stated you need to make sure on both devices you have Health turned on to backup/sync following: Settings > [your name] > iCloud and turn on Health.

If you want to use iTunes you need to encrypted the backup.

Basically Health data is not backed up by default. It has to be turned on or your iTunes backup has to be encrypted.

Mar 6, 2019 2:35 PM in response to Cgjheru

iTunes backups only included health data if encrypted. An iCloud backup should include health data, unless you had Health syncing turned on in iCloud on the old phone. Essentially anything that is set to sync (contacts, calendar, messages, reminders, notes, etc) is not included in the backup. Go to Settings/your name/iCloud and check the switches that are turned on. If Health was turned on for the old phone turning it on for the new phone should cause the health data to sync.

Mar 6, 2019 3:01 PM in response to Community User

Just so you are aware, that is EXACTLY what I said. That any data that is synced is not saved in a backup. Health data is app data. If it is synced it is not included in the backup. If it is not synced it is included in the backup.

You have quoted out of context - that quote is in the section on what is not included IF it is synced to iCloud.

Mar 6, 2019 3:17 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I quoted the article so you know what I'm talking about and you said (AND IT NOT OUT OF CONTEXT NO WHERE DOES IT SAY IF SYNCED THANK YOU):

An iCloud backup should include health data, unless you had Health syncing turned on in iCloud on the old phone.

An iCloud backup would not include health data. iCloud only backs-up health data if being synced (but it stored differently than the actual backup).

Where is my health data from my old phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.