Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet Self Assigned IP address

Hey,

So I've been trying to figure this 'self assigned IP address' error out for a month now, to no avail.

I live in a house that has a panel in most of the rooms which should enable me to plug directly into the wall to get a stable ethernet connection. This works in every single room in the house bar the room my computer is in!!!

As it works in the other rooms it would appear my Mac, the cable and the router are all fine. I have opened up the panel in the room that doesn't work and it all looks perfectly fine. I've attached images.

I have no idea what to do about this! please help! I don't even know who I would get round to help sort this out.

Thanks so much in advance.

[Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 6, 2019 7:06 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 6, 2019 9:20 AM in response to brixtonzulu

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/1b24b826-d8aa-4385-ac8e-1872cff23b5dHi!

yes that’s correct.

heres a pic of the panel

Never quite seen anything like this before— is it a ad hoc homeowner job?

Non the less you obviously have a one room issue. Start with the easiest first least expensive first, and replace the wall connector and test.

Mar 6, 2019 11:04 AM in response to brixtonzulu

Hi again, brixtonzulu !

I have to agree with leroydouglas at this point. Replacing the port is the cheapest option if one has the tool to complete the punchdown to the new port. It looks like the wires are punched down correctly, so all else being equal this port should be working.

Sadly, an electrician with networking certifications is probably going to be the next step. It could be some inconsiderate rodent has chewed through a wire in the cable, or the cable was locked down too tightly behind the walls and the expansion/contraction from the heat/cold of the seasons has broken a conductor in the cable.

It's not exactly helpful now, but if you own this house it would be a brilliant idea to have some sort of testing equipment for the ethernet cables. Nobody, least of all me, is suggesting you spend Fluke-levels of money on a tester, but I should think there are sub-100 pound testers somewhere in ol' Blighty that can work. The cheaper testers would at least tell you if all the wires are intact and transmitting.

I hope this has helped, and my hovercraft is full of eels. :-)

Mar 6, 2019 10:05 AM in response to brixtonzulu

In all reality it may be the ethernet wire is 'broken' somewhere in the walls. If you had a Fluke testing rig (or knew someone who did), you could hook up the tester at both ends and it would tell you precisely how far along the line 'till the break. At the very least the Fluke would let you know of wiring problems if there isn't a break.

It could be - but I believe it not quite as possible - the punchdown for the port is incorrect, but I cannot tell without pictures of both sides of the ethernet port. You did a brilliant job with the top-down picture, but without seeing the 'key' on both sides, it's impossible to tell if the job was done to spec's.

If I have to bet the car, the house and the parakeet I would still back the break in the walls. I have seen it over and over again in my career.

Cheers, and good luck !

Mar 6, 2019 10:12 AM in response to leroydouglas

Never quite seen anything like this before— is it a ad hoc homeowner job?

If I am not mistaken, that would be a bog-standard install for England. The rocker switches control each outlet - a brilliant idea we have yet to require by code in America. Why we have not done this, I have no idea. The only thing that makes me giggle is making a switch cover out of a conductive metal. Either they have a boat-load of insulation isolating those switches, or some engineer is have a great laugh for a practical joke well executed.

Ethernet Self Assigned IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.