Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Palm rejection issues with 2017 iPad and Adonit Pixel

Just recently purchased the Adonit Pixel because of the incompatibility issues the Apple Pencil has with the 2017 iPad. Using an app like Notability with palm detection on and zoom turned off in settings, writing is still pretty much impossible, with whatever I write “disappearing” after I lift my pencil. I don’t imagine its an issue with stylus itself because whenever I lift my palm it writes just fine, so is there something I’m doing wrong?

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 7, 2019 7:34 PM

7 replies

Mar 7, 2019 8:02 PM in response to theSodo

I use an Adonit Pixel with my 1st gen iPad Pro.

You have to make sure your palm is always in contact with screen while using the Adonit Pixel with Notability.

Actually, you need to make sure your palm/side of your hand is always in contact with the iPad’s screen when using the Adonit Pixel OR ANY smart Bluetooth stylus, when using ANY Bluetooth stylus compatible apps.

Make sure you finish writing something first before lifting your palm off of the screen.

This can be a little difficult to do as you need to keep your palm down and sliding across the iPad’s screen as you write.

Not as easy to do sometimes when writing quickly as the side of your hand can sometimes “stick” to the screen.

The palm rejection in Notability can be, sort of, be hit or miss sometimes, too, with Notability and the Adonit Pixel.

I have since decided to improve the palm rejection in Adonit Pixel compatible apps and to have my palm/side of my hand slide on the iPad’s screen much more easily for many drawing and writing tasks with the aid of using a special, non-electrical conducting, lycra-based material, drawing glove that works by isolating your hand/palm and allow you to lay your hand/palm on the screen and lets your palm/side of your hand slide more easily as you draw or write with the Adonit Pixel stylus apps.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Anti-fouling-Drawing-Tablet-Graphic-Right-Ha nd-Left-Hand/dp/B017R8M2JY/ref=sr_1https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Anti-fouling-Drawing-Tablet-Graphic-Right-Ha

Palm rejection will be much better using one of these.

I purchased a set of five of these to have spares when I need them.

Best of Luck to You!

Mar 7, 2019 10:55 PM in response to theSodo

It's not the iPad.

Remember regular iPads have no technology in the screen for any use of smart, Bluetooth stylii.

It is all in the stylus and the compatible apps.

It's Notability that has the issue.

While Notability has legacy support for the Adonit Pixel, there are no longer any settings to tweak to get better response from Adonit Pixel any longer.

So, that's the issue with Notability.

Most of the 2-1/2 dozen or so Adonit Pixel compatible apps have settings for the Pixel you can tweak, like pressure curve settings and hand/wrist position/orientation.

Notability is missing these, now.

That is one of the reasons for the drawing/writing glove.

The glove will solve most of the palm rejection issues in Notability.

Do you have any other of the Adonit Pixel compatible note or drawing/sketching/painting apps?

Here is my list of Adonit Pixel compatible notes apps from my partial standard reply I use here when Posters need an alternative Bluetooth stylus for older iPads.

I even mention the issue with the Adonit Pixel palm rejection issue in Notability.

Compatible Adonit Pixel apps for Notes and Notes with drawing types of apps.

GoodNotes

Notability ( palm rejection noticeably improved using special, non-electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove )

Note Shelf

Notes Plus

QuickNotes X Pro

uPad

Zoom Notes

PDF Pen

Mar 7, 2019 10:58 PM in response to MichelPM

Good notes 5, that is? I thought that perhaps switching to an app that directly connects to the stylus via bluetooth would maybe help with the issue, and using one of my drawings apps (Autodesk Sketchbook), it definitely does. I don’t have Good Notes 5, but if it does connect via bluetooth I’m willing to get it.

Mar 7, 2019 11:21 PM in response to theSodo

The Adonit Pixel will only really work with Notability with Bluetooth ON on the iPad and active.

I DO have some minor palm rejection issues with the Pixel in Notability, but I am having better results than you seem to be, for some inexplicable reason, but the drawing/writing glove is a big improvement with Notability and the Pixel.

I use the drawing/writing glove with every writing and drawing app that I use because my hand glides better with the glove on than with bare hand on the screen.

My skin is just too oily.

With ALL Adonit Pixel compatible apps, you have to turn Bluetooth ON on the iPad, then you connect/pair the Pixel from within the individual, compatible apps.

Notability inexplicably got rid of the third party stylus connect screen, but my Pixel still works with it without having to additionally connect from within the app, like most of the otner compatible apps do.

Maybe it is because I have an iPad Pro.

ALL the apps I have listed ARE compatible with the Adonit Pixel

I have a much more extended list, but this is just the notes app section of that list.

Mar 7, 2019 11:40 PM in response to theSodo

I like some things about Good Notes, but I prefer and use Notability, Zoom Notes and Notes Plus with my iPad Pro and the Adonit Pixel.

Check those notes apps out too to help make a decision.

There is, also, Noteshelf 1 and 2, now, also, that you may want to check out.

Everyone takes notes and works with notes differently.

I like how Notability and Zoom Notes work with PDFs.

Best of Luck to You!

Mar 7, 2019 11:57 PM in response to theSodo

If you are curious here is the rest of my list of Adonit Pixel compatible sketching/drawing/painting apps.

Here’s my “up to date”, comprehensive, but still incomplete, list of Adonit Pixel/Pixel Pro compatible drawing apps for the iPad/iPad Pro.

All apps listed support pressure sensing and palm rejection.

Compatible Adonit Pixel apps for drawing

Animation Desk

Amaziograph

Adobe Photoshop Sketch ( palm rejection ONLY, No pressure, no sensing of line weight/opacity variations )

ArtRage

Art Studio Pro ( fully supports the Adonit Pixel and is just as great as Procreate on the iPad )

AutoDesk SketchBook

Colored Pencil

Comic Draw

Concepts

Interactive SketchBook

Inkist

Medibang Paint

ProCreate ( palm rejection improved using special, non-electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove )

Pixelmator ( new versions, now, STILL support the Adonit Pixel, but it is now listed in the active stylus settings as “unsupported stylus”. The Pixel STILL works as it should in this app, though. I have had NO issues )

Tayasui Sketches/Sketches Pro ( the new, free Tayasui Sketches School version works with this stylus, but without any palm rejection or pressure sensing, so you need to use a special, non-electrical conducting drawing glove with the Sketches School version to lay your hand/palm down on the iPad’s screen )

ZenBrush/Zen Brush 2

With the special lycra material writing/drawing gloves, I have been referencing, you have access to more non-compatible Adonit Pixel apps as the glove will isolate your hand and and internal electrical impulses and allow you to use a whole bunch of other drawing and writing apps with a fine point control stylus and to be able to lay your palm/side of your hand on the iPad’s screen.

To make the stylus work, though Bluetooth needs to be active on both the stylus and the iPad for it to register on the iPad's screen.

Again, Best of Luck to You!

Palm rejection issues with 2017 iPad and Adonit Pixel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.