Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help regarding iPhoto with OS X El Capitan

I have had a MacBook for many years and transferred all my things on it to my MacBook Pro a couple of years ago. The system on the new mac is version 10.11.6 - OS X El Capitan. The version of iPhoto I transferred to this MacBook Pro is iPhoto '09 (8.1.2). I have recently started using this Mac as my main computer but I cannot open the iPhoto, nor get an upgrade through Apple Apps store. What do I need to do to get iPhoto working on my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 3:28 PM

The only version of iPhoto that would run on your system version is iPhoto 9.6.1.

But there is no longer any way to get this version, because Apple is no longer selling it at the AppStore. Apple stopped the development of iPhoto four years ago, when Photo for Mac has been released as the successor to iPhoto. Only users who already own an AppStore version of iPhoto '11, version 9.x.x. and have it associated with their AppleID at the AppStore can still download it from the AppStore to reinstall it. But your version cannot be upgraded to iPhoto 9.6.1, because it would require a purchase, that has been pulled from the AppStore long ago.

You can open your iPhoto Libraries with Photos for Mac to get access to your photos.

See: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS - Apple Support

And: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2019 3:28 PM in response to kaye80

The only version of iPhoto that would run on your system version is iPhoto 9.6.1.

But there is no longer any way to get this version, because Apple is no longer selling it at the AppStore. Apple stopped the development of iPhoto four years ago, when Photo for Mac has been released as the successor to iPhoto. Only users who already own an AppStore version of iPhoto '11, version 9.x.x. and have it associated with their AppleID at the AppStore can still download it from the AppStore to reinstall it. But your version cannot be upgraded to iPhoto 9.6.1, because it would require a purchase, that has been pulled from the AppStore long ago.

You can open your iPhoto Libraries with Photos for Mac to get access to your photos.

See: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS - Apple Support

And: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Help regarding iPhoto with OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.