Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6.1 & macOS Sierra

I'm currently using iPhoto 9.6.1. on a 2014 Mac Mini running Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. Will this version of iPhoto still work if I update to Sierra?

I've read some of the previous questions & answers which appear to suggest that it will but only if iPhoto 9.6.1 was obtained through the App store? I'm not sure that mine was as I cannot see it in the App Store > Purchases. Would it have been provided with the 10.10.5 update?

Will it work if I copy iPhoto 9.6.1 to an external device, update to Sierra and move iPhoto 9.6.1 back to the Applications folder?

I don't want to use the Photos app as my husband is familiar with iPhoto for editing and organising his photos.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 7:07 AM

1. Yes.

2. Since you already have it, it'll continue to run, but you won't be able to redownload it without logging into the Apple ID used to obtain it. It isn't bundled with the updater. Back the system up.

3. If you choose to, it should be done through Time Machine or cloning, not drag-copying.

Note that if you later upgrade to Catalina or above, it'll stop working.

(176786)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 7:07 AM in response to magsuk

1. Yes.

2. Since you already have it, it'll continue to run, but you won't be able to redownload it without logging into the Apple ID used to obtain it. It isn't bundled with the updater. Back the system up.

3. If you choose to, it should be done through Time Machine or cloning, not drag-copying.

Note that if you later upgrade to Catalina or above, it'll stop working.

(176786)

iPhoto 9.6.1 & macOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.