Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retaining iPhoto when upgrading to High Sierra

I've read in a few places that it's possible to keep running iPhoto after upgrading to 10.13 High Sierra. I'm currently on 10.10 Yosemite, running iPhoto 9.6.1. There are also some posts about having to download iPhoto after the upgrade. Is that true? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Like many people I have a huge investment in iPhoto libraries, based on Events, and want to kick the can down the road for a few more years before migrating to another photo management program - and it won't be Photos since it doesn't retain the Events structure.

My device is a late 2014 Mac Mini which is not on the device list so I've selected the closest match.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 3:07 AM

Just to confirm Niel's post.

iPhoto 9.6.1 has been running on all my Macs up to macOS 10.14.6 Mojave and is still running on my Mojave Macs. After the upgrade you may be finding the Dock icon of iPhoto being replaced by Photos. You will just have to drag iPhoto from the Applications folder back to the Dock. Do not launch Photos, because it will open your iPhoto Library and create a new Photos Library. The filename extension of your iPhoto Library will be changed to ".migratedphotolibrary". If you accidentally launch Photos and then get the message, that the iPhoto Library has been migrated to Photos, when you try to open iPhoto, change the filename extension back to ".photolibrary" and you can open the library again in iPhoto.

Photos is on High Sierra much more versatile than on the version you have seen on Yosemite. You may want to give it a try, if you need to order phonebooks or other print products.

But do not upgrade past Mojave, if you want to stick with iPhoto; iPhoto is really dead on Catalina.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 3:07 AM in response to rosanna167

Just to confirm Niel's post.

iPhoto 9.6.1 has been running on all my Macs up to macOS 10.14.6 Mojave and is still running on my Mojave Macs. After the upgrade you may be finding the Dock icon of iPhoto being replaced by Photos. You will just have to drag iPhoto from the Applications folder back to the Dock. Do not launch Photos, because it will open your iPhoto Library and create a new Photos Library. The filename extension of your iPhoto Library will be changed to ".migratedphotolibrary". If you accidentally launch Photos and then get the message, that the iPhoto Library has been migrated to Photos, when you try to open iPhoto, change the filename extension back to ".photolibrary" and you can open the library again in iPhoto.

Photos is on High Sierra much more versatile than on the version you have seen on Yosemite. You may want to give it a try, if you need to order phonebooks or other print products.

But do not upgrade past Mojave, if you want to stick with iPhoto; iPhoto is really dead on Catalina.

Retaining iPhoto when upgrading to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.