Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6.1 instead of Photos in MacOS Mojave 10.14.3

I just installed iPhoto 9.6.1 on my wife's (new) 2017 iMac and transferred her iPhoto library from her old Mac. She prefers iPhoto to Photos, and it works fine on her new iMac running Mojave. How do I prevent Photos from "taking over" and, for instance, prevent Photos from opening inadvertently and transforming her iPhoto library to Photos? I understand that Photos is part of the system and should not be deleted, but is there a way to give iPhoto preference over Photos?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 6:04 AM

You can remove the Photos icon from the Dock, so you do not accidentally launch Photos. Even if Photos should accidentally open, it will not delete the iPhoto Library, but just create a new Photos Library. If that should happen, you can delete the new Photos Library and launch iPhoto again. You will get warning, that the library has been migrated to Photos, but click the button "open iPhoto".

Photos and iPhoto can peacefully live together on the same Mac.

But if your wife prefers iPhoto and wants to be able to keep using it, she will not be able to upgrade her Mac to Catalina, when the new system will be released in the fall. Mojave is the last system to support iPhoto and and Aperture. It is a dead end by now.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2019 6:04 AM in response to hsmultimedia

You can remove the Photos icon from the Dock, so you do not accidentally launch Photos. Even if Photos should accidentally open, it will not delete the iPhoto Library, but just create a new Photos Library. If that should happen, you can delete the new Photos Library and launch iPhoto again. You will get warning, that the library has been migrated to Photos, but click the button "open iPhoto".

Photos and iPhoto can peacefully live together on the same Mac.

But if your wife prefers iPhoto and wants to be able to keep using it, she will not be able to upgrade her Mac to Catalina, when the new system will be released in the fall. Mojave is the last system to support iPhoto and and Aperture. It is a dead end by now.

iPhoto 9.6.1 instead of Photos in MacOS Mojave 10.14.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.