Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Me Save My Old iPhoto Library

I have an old iPhoto library with tons of photos in labeled folders. It is iPhoto 9.5.1 running on a 2013 Mac with OS X 10.9.5. I want to save the pictures and preserve the folder organization. How can I get the iPhoto photos/folders into Photos? Can I upgrade my operating system (thereby upgrading iPhoto to Photos, I guess) and preserve the iPhoto library? I am currently having to manually (folder by folder) import pictures into Photos on icloud and it is taking forevaaaaaa. I can't seem to find a way to get the library efficiently into a newer version of Photos, I think because this old version of iPhoto doesn't have features that would allow the transfer. Please solve this problem, which has plagued me for like five years. Thank you!

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:30 PM

Did you try holding the alt / option key when launching the Photos app, and seeing if your iPhotos library is there for selection?

Note: It may be wise to make a Time Machine backup before attempting this.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 19, 2022 4:18 PM in response to LLinArlington

No sorry, what I meant was if you were using the Photos app. Your iMac is definitely capable of running a version of macOS that supports Photos. Note that in these newer versions of macOS, iPhoto will not run at all.

Looks like you can run up to macOS 10.15 Catalina: How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support (UK)

Please make a Time Machine backup before you update, it’s important to do this: Back up your Mac with Time Machine – Apple Support (UK)

Help Me Save My Old iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.