Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library to photos issues

I have an external hard drive with thousands of pictures on it. They are stored on the external in the old iPhoto library program.

we can’t look at them until they are in the new photo app.

issue is when I open photos and try to transfer it trying to love all picture to my computer.

is there anyway to transfer the old iPhoto library on my external to new photo app vi the external and not have to move them to my computer?

not sure if that makes sense.

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 8:46 PM

Yes, if the external hard drive is in a format compatible with storing a Photos library. (HFS+ would be best, or AFPS.) Photos can migrate an entire iPhoto library to a corresponding Photos library. The exact details depend on what version(s) of iPhoto created the libraries and what version of Photos you will use to do the migration.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 8:46 PM in response to Monkeychunk42

Yes, if the external hard drive is in a format compatible with storing a Photos library. (HFS+ would be best, or AFPS.) Photos can migrate an entire iPhoto library to a corresponding Photos library. The exact details depend on what version(s) of iPhoto created the libraries and what version of Photos you will use to do the migration.

iPhoto library to photos issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.