Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

If a Photo library is moved to an external hard drive, can those photos be accessible while at the same. time iPhoto still is on my Mac? Can I erase photos in the Photo library on my Mac while preserving access to them on the external hard drive?

If a Photo library is moved to an external hard drive, can those photos be accessible while at the same time iPhoto still is on my Mac with new photos going to the Mac? Can I erase photos in the Photo library on my Mac while preserving access to them on the external hard drive?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:34 AM

When you are using more than one Photos Library, the photos and videos in the different Photos Libraries are independent of each other. You can delete photos from one library without deleting the copies of the same photos from other libraries.

You can copy a Photos Library to an external drive and use the original on the internal drive as well - just switch between libraries by double clicking the library you want to open.

Any external drive you are using has to be compatible with Photos - prepare the external drive as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 8:34 AM in response to jakefromlj

When you are using more than one Photos Library, the photos and videos in the different Photos Libraries are independent of each other. You can delete photos from one library without deleting the copies of the same photos from other libraries.

You can copy a Photos Library to an external drive and use the original on the internal drive as well - just switch between libraries by double clicking the library you want to open.

Any external drive you are using has to be compatible with Photos - prepare the external drive as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

If a Photo library is moved to an external hard drive, can those photos be accessible while at the same. time iPhoto still is on my Mac? Can I erase photos in the Photo library on my Mac while preserving access to them on the external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.