Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to open old picture library on new Mac

I have photos (Photos Library.photslibrary) from my old Mac (bought in 2011) but i can not open them on my new Mac (bought 2020). Current operating system is Mac OS Monterery 12.6.3, and photos version 7.0. I tried installing the iPhotoLibrary Upgrader, but it wouldn't open on my mac.

What can I do to save my old memories. I know my old photo library has the pictures as the file size is 51 GB. Just don't know how to access them.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 10:00 AM

What happens, when you try to open the old "Photos Library.photslibrary)" from the old Mac? What is the error message you are getting? Did you copy the Photos Library.photoslibrary to your new Mac or is it on an external volume? The external volume may not be compatible with Photos. Try to copy the library to your Pictures folder, but rename it, so you do not overwrite your current library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2023 10:00 AM in response to SMMSingapore

What happens, when you try to open the old "Photos Library.photslibrary)" from the old Mac? What is the error message you are getting? Did you copy the Photos Library.photoslibrary to your new Mac or is it on an external volume? The external volume may not be compatible with Photos. Try to copy the library to your Pictures folder, but rename it, so you do not overwrite your current library.

How to open old picture library on new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.