Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI screen problem on MacBook Pro - Mac OS Sierra

I have my external screen connected through HDMI port (HDMI to VGA adapter - works fine with Windows computer, and with my Mac in Safe Mode), but it goes black a couple of seconds after connecting. It basically lights up, but then goes off. However, the system acts like the screen was OK - I can see and modify it in the display preferences, I can move my mouse or application windows off my main screen to the external screen (which is still blacked out).

I tried restarting in Safe Mode and the external screen works OK. After going back to normal mode - black again.

I removed all login startup items from my user account. Didn't help.

Any clues?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 8:40 AM

On the built-in display, use

System Preferences > Displays > arrangement

click the (Gather Windows) button to put all controls for displays onto the current (built-in) display.

check that the resolution specified for the external display is sensible. If appropriate, change it and save the change.

What make&model is this display?

What Mac by year, early mid late and screen size and processor speed?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2019 8:40 AM in response to mikslu

On the built-in display, use

System Preferences > Displays > arrangement

click the (Gather Windows) button to put all controls for displays onto the current (built-in) display.

check that the resolution specified for the external display is sensible. If appropriate, change it and save the change.

What make&model is this display?

What Mac by year, early mid late and screen size and processor speed?

HDMI screen problem on MacBook Pro - Mac OS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.