Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard vs Yosemite

I have an old Mac Pro circa 2006-2008. On one of the 4 drives is SL along with my old Adobe and Apple software; Photoshop CS3, After Effects CS4, Final Cut 2, etc. Recently, I purchased a Mac mini (late 2014) with Yosemite 10.10.

I would like to set two partitions up on the mini whereby one would be SL and the other Yosemite. Is this possible? Would it be possible to run a cable between the two computers without blowing both of them up?

Thank you in advance!

Mac mini, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 5:36 PM

13 replies

Mar 10, 2019 12:25 AM in response to novanut

Yosemite is the earliest macOS version the 2014 MIni can run.

You can connect the two Macs together:

1 by starting both Macs normally and connecting both to the same network and setup File Sharing. . You can also use Screen Sharing so that you can use one Mac from the other Mac

2 Connect the two Macs via FireWire and boot one Mac in Target Disk Mode (depress T key during startup and use the disk in the Target Mac from the other Mac.

Mar 10, 2019 6:23 AM in response to lllaass

I’m confused (I stay that way most of the time). Niel says no and you say yes. But then I don’t know anything about Emulation and not much about target mode.

If I use an external drive attached to the mini with SL I couldn’t boot to that drive by pressing the option key?

Thank you both for your replies

John

Mar 10, 2019 10:17 AM in response to novanut

No: the 2014 Mini will never boot from a Snow Leopard drive. No one is saying that it can.

There are ways to run Snow Leopard in emulation, using software such as VMware Fusion or Parallels, but you would have to find and buy Snow Leopard Server to do that (legal issue). It’s not worth doing, even if you bought a Mini with the maximum amount of memory (16GB). Your old Mac Pro is still more capable and far more flexible than the Mini.

You can connect the Macs via ethernet or in Target Disk Mode.

Snow Leopard vs Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.