Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible to change the frame rate in iMovie 10.1.10

Hi everyone,

Each time I export a project in iMovie the frame rate is set to 25fps, even if I started it with a 30fps clip. Is there any solution to this issue ?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 11, 2019 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2019 9:42 AM

Hi,

It might be helpful to review the procedure for setting frame rates for iMovie 10 (that I assume that you are using). To set the frame rate of a project you must create a totally new project and then place a video clip (not a photo) with a known frame rate as the first clip placed into the project. So, if you put in a 30 fps clip as the first clip placed into the project, the project will be set at 30 fps. You can then delete the first clip without affecting the project. The project will export (share out) at 30 fps even if the subsequent clips that you place in the project are other than 30 fps. If you erase all the clips in the project and start over with clips of, say, 60 fps, the project will still remain 30 fps because that was the frame rate of the first clip placed into it when the project was newly created.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2019 9:42 AM in response to eloilequil

Hi,

It might be helpful to review the procedure for setting frame rates for iMovie 10 (that I assume that you are using). To set the frame rate of a project you must create a totally new project and then place a video clip (not a photo) with a known frame rate as the first clip placed into the project. So, if you put in a 30 fps clip as the first clip placed into the project, the project will be set at 30 fps. You can then delete the first clip without affecting the project. The project will export (share out) at 30 fps even if the subsequent clips that you place in the project are other than 30 fps. If you erase all the clips in the project and start over with clips of, say, 60 fps, the project will still remain 30 fps because that was the frame rate of the first clip placed into it when the project was newly created.

-- Rich

Mar 11, 2019 9:45 AM in response to eloilequil

If the frame rate of the project and and export frame rate are not being set with the procedure I describes, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can set the frame rate that will export.

-- Rich

Mar 11, 2019 9:48 AM in response to Rich839

Another thing: If you close a project, and then create a new one, the new one will have the same frame rate as the old one unless you change it by inserting a video clip with the desired frame rate as the first clip. If you insert a photo as the first clip, that will not change the frame rate from what it previously was.

-- Rich

Impossible to change the frame rate in iMovie 10.1.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.