You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Authorization issue (yep, I have less than 5 authorized devices)

Hello! When I try to play something in iTunes, I'm told I have 5 authorizations already. I have checked my account, I have three. I have tried to authorize and deauhtorize (it tells me I haven't yet authorized), this computer to no avail. Help, pls

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 11, 2019 11:48 AM

12 replies

Mar 12, 2019 11:55 AM in response to lizedwards

Hello lizedwards,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're receiving an alert indicating that you need to authorize your Mac in iTunes, and you're unable to do so due to an incorrect number of devices shown as authorized. You've come to the right place for a resolution.

Let's start by signing out of iTunes on this Mac, restart the computer, then sign back in and see if you're able to authorize it. If not, and if you previously attempted to deauthorize only the computer that you're encountering the alert on, you may want to consider deauthorizing all computers instead. After that, re-authorize the devices that you still use:

If you're still unable to authorize this Mac in iTunes, see if you can authorize it by logging in to your Mac with a different user. This could help determine if the issue may be related to specific files or settings with this user account. If you don't have another user account you can use, here's how you can create one for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

Apr 14, 2019 2:45 PM in response to Alfi

As noted in Authorization vs. association - Apple Community there is no record of which computers are authorized, but you can deauthorize all, then authorize the ones you want to use and keep your own notes. You cannot deauthorize all again for a year. Associations are listed and can be removed after 90 days. Your home videos shouldn't be subject to restrictions from either mechanism.

tt2

Apr 14, 2019 3:42 AM in response to turingtest2

I would like to contribute to this as i experienced that Authorisation seems to mean, "authorisation of additional computers which are not signed into iCloud and iTunes with the same account. "

I have authorised my wife`s and two of my "children" computers. In my account i read "3 authorised computers". Now i bought a new Mac and set it up with my Apple ID. Result: Still 3 computers authorised.

And myself i own now 2 Computers (same account)

So setting up a new Mac with the same apple ID does not count as this "Authorization" So u can own as may computers u like and use them under ur apple id. and purchase and play everything from your iTunes account.

So deauthorisation of all computers will not solve the problem if u sold a computer and forgot to sign out and wiping off all data.

Just a conclusion which should be true if the info in my iTunes account is correct.

So one could create a title like "Apple ID ownership vs Authorisation vs. Association."

Apr 14, 2019 4:01 AM in response to Alfi

A computer needs to be authorized to play or transfer DRM protected content.

A computer or device will become associated with an Apple ID when used to download previous purchases.

These are two different mechanisms. Signing into your Apple ID with iTunes won't automatically cause it to become authorized. You will be required to authorize the machine before you can play or transfer DRM protected content.

tt2

Apr 14, 2019 12:41 PM in response to turingtest2

Some computers of my family which are older , showed my content but it was not possible to unauthorise them or to prove if i authorised them, but they were associated before apple changed some "rules" i now manget to unauthorize a newer just to find out which are authorised and which are not.

I wonder why even homevideos (self-made) are restricted to. five Computers

May 29, 2019 8:30 AM in response to turingtest2

My account says 3 at the moment ; I know two of them certainly; But i am not sure, if the on Computer i can run under Sierra and under Snowleopard (from an external disk) counts as 1 or 2 Computers.

Then i have an Imac G4 ("Lamp design")running Tiger.. it didnt let me unauthorize it.. maybe, i unauthorized it years vefore , may be not.

Authorization issue (yep, I have less than 5 authorized devices)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.