Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use quotes on Russian keyboard

Hello Everyone! Anybody known how to use this quotes (see screenshot) on Russian keyboard?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 2:42 AM

13 replies

Mar 12, 2019 11:07 AM in response to JBitRussia

Could you please post here a complete picture your keyboard? That would help people report the problem.

One place to report it would be

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Please also do report here whatever explanation the store provides. It is very strange that they would be selling devices which do not actually produce the characters printed on the keys.

Below is the picture of MacBook Pro taken from the Apple Russian online store with the correct keyboard:

Mar 12, 2019 9:57 AM in response to JBitRussia

The keyboard in your picture does not seem to be the one actually made by Apple. I am wondering if the place where you bought it has put in different keys or a different keyboard.

The real Apple keyboard looks like this:

The Option level of the Russian input source that goes with it looks like this:

To make the output of your keyboard match what is on the keys, you would have to create a custom keyboard layout with an app like Ukelele.

You should ask for an explanation from the place where you bought it.

Mar 14, 2019 2:07 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

1) I don't have friends who have MacBook Pro 2018 15". But in link on youtube (posted above) you can see same keyboard. And here addition link on review https://www.ixbt.com/maclife/macbook-pro-15-2018-review.html.

2) I see difference on numeric line.

+ I don't see "РСТ" mark on backplate and box. But maybe it's because I have CTO (custom) with i9/32/560x/1TB. Below I post photos:

You can see here quality of symbols engraving:

Here whole MacBook with "About this Mac" and S/N:

Difference on numeric row:

Box. You can see here my MacBook with Russian keyboard (because "KB-RS/RUS" I think). Here I not found "РСТ" mark, but box contain Russian symbols:

Here backplate with SN and without "РСТ" mark:

My old MacBook have "РСТ" mark:

Mar 12, 2019 8:28 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

"Option" + "=" and "Option" + "L.Shift" + "=" works fine. But i asked for these buttons because i try to search information in Russian internet and only found thats button print not working on High Sierra. On Apple online store site these buttons without quotes, but i buy macbook from Apple Authorized Reseller (Re-Store). When I try "Option" + "Ф" its print "ƒ", with "Shift" its print same, when i do this for "Ы" its only print "ы" and "Ы". In some resources I found thats Fail on Russian keyboard, but I try figure out real situation.

Mar 12, 2019 10:26 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Re-Store don't made laser engraving for Apple products. I found review on most popular (like Linus Tech Review on US) tech reviewer: https://youtu.be/mYh9cyssf24?t=266. And he have same keyboard buttons. I use your advice, thanks. My only last question is should I to send this information somewhere (like bug tracker or elsewhere)? I think its real program bug, because some mass media in my country wrote about this problem. I not think that a problem I just want to help Apple improve OS X.

Mar 12, 2019 11:19 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

That photo not from my keyboard. I can make it on Thursday. I also will photograph box and backplate (under unibody) with "РСТ" (Russian Technical Certificate Center http://www.rostest.ru) mark that proves I buy official imported Macbook. But I don't think trying to get explanation from the store it's a good idea - in Russian Federation we have very bad experience from our stores. Actually i think I can get only answer like this "You have nothing to do?" or in best way "We don't known - we only sell official Apple product".

Mar 14, 2019 5:44 AM in response to JBitRussia

Thanks! I need to ask the first question again: Have you ever seen a Russian keyboard in you life (besides these from Apple), where you use the A and S keys to make «»? I have not. I don't think there is any existing keyboard mapping software that does this. If that's correct, this looks like some kind of hardware production mistake by Apple.

Mar 14, 2019 6:16 AM in response to JBitRussia

The question is not about Apple keyboards, but any keyboards made by others. As far as I know, nobody anywhere uses those keys to type those characters in Russian, also on a pc. But I could be wrong.

When you go to system preferences/keyboard/input sources and use the + button to find the Russian layouts, do you see only 3 choices — russian, Russian pc, Russian phonetic?

Mar 14, 2019 11:18 AM in response to JBitRussia

I don't see any other difference between your keyboard and the past one besides the printing of «» on the A and S keys. If you would like to have an input source (.keylayout file) which actually does have those characters on the option level of A and S, I have put one (named Russian 2) here.

Apple's failure to provide such a layout itself presumably indicates an unintended production error in the keyboard printing.

Use quotes on Russian keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.