Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring photos from old macbook

I have an older MacBook OS 10.6.8 which I have a ton of pictures of my children which I would l like to export to a USB to give to my kids. I've tried both copy all and paste and export to a USB but neither work.

I Need to accomplish this or these pictures will disappear when my MacBook dies.

Please help me save these memories.

Many thanks

Bob

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 13, 2019 7:17 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 13, 2019 11:01 AM in response to Vanderwerf

How are the pictures stored on your old MB? How many photos arte they? Are they in an iPhoto library? If so then do the following:

1 - Select a number of Events and export with the following settings:

This will give you folders with the same name as the Events that contain the original image files for that Event.

2 - format the external HD that's appropriate for the type of computer your kids have [OS X Extended (journaled) for Macs and MS-DOS (FAT) for PCs]. Drag the folders to the EHD to copy them.

Mar 13, 2019 4:59 PM in response to Vanderwerf

Did you try a hard drive formatted as shown here:

There's another way to get the originals out of the library. Control (right) - click on the library and select Show Package Contents from the Contextual menu. Locate the Masters folder (or the Originals folder if the library is from an older version) and drag it to the external HD.

If that fails to copy you've got some serious I/O or permission issues.

Mar 13, 2019 2:25 PM in response to Old Toad

First of all thanks for taking the time to help.

I have approx. 30 organized Albums, each with anywhere from 10 to 300 jpeg files in iPhoto. These are all the photos that I've accumulated over several years. So I probably have a several GBs of photos. Really need to get these out before MacBook dies.

Equip......

MacBook (2011) 2.4 GHz intel Core 2 Duo

Mac OS 10.6.8

iPhoto '08

I was able to sporadically export couple of Albums to an external usb disk , after selecting all in that album and running a batch name change. But most albums will not export and give me the error message "unable to create /Volume/WD Portable/Album name".

I also tried selecting all in an album in iPhoto > copying > pasting into a folder on USB Drive : didn't work. I also tried to copy and paste to a folder right on the desk top.

From some of the postings / comment, I this has been a problem for some.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Mar 13, 2019 2:45 PM in response to Vanderwerf

Are you able to export to the Desktop or another folder, i.e. the Documents folder, on your hard drive?

You you have a second external HD you could format as OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored and export to it just to get the photos safely off the Macbook?

Are you using any Western Digital software to manage its hard drive? If so you don't need it and would be best to uninstall it completely.

Mar 13, 2019 3:02 PM in response to Old Toad

The same Albums that would not export to external disk would not export to desktop nor internal hard drive folder.

I do have another portable drive which I will reformat to OS X Extended (journaled) and try again. As far as I know, I am not using Western Digital's software.

I did check the size if iPhoto Library which is 36.7 GB.

Is there any reason to try and rebuild the library??

Thanks again.

transferring photos from old macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.