Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave made my iMac super slow

Since I updated my iMac to Majove, I couldn't work literally as soon as it up even there aren't any app running it lags the crashes. The rainbow wheel doesn't go away. It's so frustrating that even pulling up "About this Mac" takes 3 minutes and I can't do anything. Its way better to work with my laptop which is way older than my desktop. I cannot even open a simple Page file, so when I say I am frustrated literally nothing is working!! When I click on anything the rainbow wheel shows up and takes it another 3-5 minutes to pull up anything. I hope someone can tell me what is wrong with this software cause I still have a lot of available space on my desktop when I checked still nothing is working. I really need to get this going cause I need to work *in tears of frustration. Thanks!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 13, 2019 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 7:25 AM

Safe Mode is only for testing. Since it works as expected in Safe Mode, the first place to look would be in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items. Use the (-) button to disable Login Items (you can always add them back with the (+) button) Then test.

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 13, 2019 10:23 AM in response to DavidKD

We need to know more.

Does your mac boot ok in Safe Mode?

Note: Safe Mode is slow, but should not be nearly as slow as you are describing your mac right now.

For example, try About this mac in Safe Mode: it should just appear in one second.

If it is such that your mac is slower when booted normally than it is in Safe Mode, there must be a software conflict - some third party software that is wreaking havoc.

If your mac is again so slow in Safe Mode, then my guess is that your hard drive may be failing.

Mar 15, 2019 7:15 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis, sorry if it took me forever to reply and if my previous message was confusing. When I checked the System report I found out that my iMac was in normal boot, it wasn't on Safe Mode. So, today I tried again but set it in Safe Mode it seemed to run smoothly than what I previously reported. There weren't any rainbow wheel showing, app seemed to pull up faster and I can open multiple apps now. Please forgive my ignorance but should I always set my OS in Safe Mode? Thank you I sincerely appreciate your help.

Mar 15, 2019 7:51 AM in response to macjack

Hi MacJack, thank you. Yeap, did exactly what you told me. So now, Im testing it on Normal mode and current observation its better than before,. Not getting any rainbow ball, and it didn't take forever for apps to pull up. I also removed another User log, so currently, I have left is my own log and guest. Crossing my fingers on this. Thanks again.

Mojave made my iMac super slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.