Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages REFUSES to allow you to turn it on when NOT ON WIFI?!

No matter what you try, iOS Messages simply refuses to accept that CELLULAR DATA is ON if you try to enable it with cellular only (even if it was fine before, but you toggled it off for any reason or amount of time). The ONLY way to get it to turn back on is on WiFi. You can turn your phone off/on or toggle cellular data or date/time auto updates until you’re blue in the face all to no avail. EVERY SINGLE OTHER APP (including FaceTime, unless I toggle that off and then it also joins Messages in its idiocy) WORKS FINE.

What the heck good is that? If I had WiFi, I’d not be needing cellular! This is so ridiculous. Is there any real fix other than only ever being able to turn it back on via WiFi (and then it’ll be fine on cellular only until you toggle it off for any reason again)? Seems no fix works other than having WiFi (the real fix has to come from Cupertino and they could care less in years).

iPhone 8

Posted on Mar 14, 2019 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2019 5:34 PM

Not all cellular carriers support iMessage.

Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the United States and Canada - Apple Support

2 replies

Mar 14, 2019 5:53 PM in response to sberman

That’s not the issue.

This happens regardless of carrier (AT&T and Telstra for sure - they certainly support it!). I also notice there is no entry or toggle switch for Messages in the Cellular Data list of apps, but there is for FaceTime (not that that necessarily matters). If I connect to any WiFi, enable Messages and then DISABLE WiFi, Messages works perfectly fine. It’s simply DAFT at enabling under cellular-only, on ANY cellular network...

I assume it’s whatever Messages does

at first check/connect, since it’ll work fine afterwards in every other way - except for simply enabling it w/o WiFi (even if it was fine prior) after turning it off for any reason.

iMessages REFUSES to allow you to turn it on when NOT ON WIFI?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.