Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch's battery is stuck at 100% and suddenly turns off in 5-6 hours

Hi guys,

My Apple Watch series 2 (18 months old, GPS only, no cellular) started to suddenly turn off in the afternoon about a week ago. I carefully watched what's going on and found that the watch's battery shows stuck at 100% into several hours' usage since I wear it in the morning (I charge it every night with authentic charger) and then it suddenly turns off after about 6 hours of usage. I don't use my watch that much, mainly for workout recording and text notification. It used to work very well for the whole day (15-16 hours) without any problem until a week ago.

Once turned off in the middle of afternoon, I cannot turn it back on unless I put it back to charger. When it is connected to charger and turns back on, it shows I still have 75% of battery! But then when I take it off from charger and wear it again, it turns off in the matter of minutes, which suggests my watch's 75% is not really 75%, but close to zero.

So, obviously there is a problem with my watch's battery:

1) Battery shows 100% (stuck) when it actually isn't.

2) Battery is draining very fast (Fully charged watch goes on only for 5-6 hours).

3) When it is drained and connected to power again, it shows I still have 75%, which means, I suspect, I am only using 25% of battery capacity.

Both my Apple watch and iPhone are running on the latest versions of OS (5.1.3 for watch and 12.1.4 for iphone). I tried restarting both watch and phone. I tried 'force restart (crown and button together)'. I tried unpairing/pairing again without backup. I even tried resetting my watch to factory status. And I only use authentic charger for both my watch and phone. Nothing works.

Does anyone have similar problem? I read many posts here and there, but didn't find any real solution.

I also read that battery replacement for Apple watch (after 1yr warranty) is close to $300, which I think is definitely not worth it.

If anyone knows how to solve it, please let me know.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2019 4:18 AM

Your report suggests a battery problem, but it needs proper diagnosis by Apple to be sure. Contact Apple Support for more information.

A simple battery service even out of warranty should be about $79 according to watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 19, 2019 5:29 AM in response to mattlee730

I have the same issue. Watch series 2 Nike is fully charged and will stay at 100% for a long time then discharges quickly and at about 70% it dies. The only way to turn it on is to put it on the charger and then it dies the red flat battery on the screen after charging for about a minute the watch reboots and the battery percentage is about 70%.

I live in South Africa and went to the iStore which is just a reseller. Their response is that it is out of warranty and that if they send it to their repair dept they will not repair it but with replace it at the full cost of a new watch. I was told that they do not replace batteries.

The support for Apple products in South Africa is horrible but Apple do not seem to care.

Mar 23, 2019 5:14 AM in response to chris12987

UPDATE! I found another topic in which the owner returned his watch to normal charging functionality after subjecting it to a spell of 15 minutes in his freezer!

Whilst it may be premature to say so, this seems to have fixed my problem too!! After removal from the freezer I put the watch on my charging pad after about a 5 minute wait, it then displayed the Apple logo followed by the connect cable graphic. After that disappeared it did nothing for about 10 minutes until it then started up with the Apple logo again. Eventually it displayed the time and the charging level, which was right down to about 2% and since then, it's been climbing as you would expect (currently at about 30%). The strange thing about this is that the date and time are now incorrect -- as I write this at 12:11 on Saturday 23rd March, the watch is displaying 16:07 on Wednesday 20th! Presumably this will correct itself when I reconnect it to my iPhone.

Hopefully this will work for you too ...

Rgds, Roger

Mar 24, 2019 1:54 PM in response to chris12987

I'm sorry to read this hasn't worked for you, Chris. It occurs to me now that at the time I put my watch in the freezer I had left it discharged for 4-5 days beforehand, i.e. not straight after earlier charging attempts. Also, I think I probably left it in my freezer for a good 30 minutes, not 15 as originally suggested. Whether these steps were critical to being successful I cannot say, but I suggest you give it another try.

I'm pleased to report that my watch has now been running for 30 hours since 'repair' and there's 46% charge remaining!

Mar 29, 2019 12:43 PM in response to rogercolwell

Miracles happen. After trying the freezer trick with no joy I did another refresh and decided that I would just have to replace the battery. I had to charge the watch 3 to 4 times a day to keep it from dying. The battery never showed less than 100%. Either 100 % or dead. After 3 to 4 days to my amazement I saw the battery indicator was showing 83% and it slowly went down as the day progressed. After that - it is working normally.

What made it change its mind and what was done to get it to work is a mystery.

My Apple Watch's battery is stuck at 100% and suddenly turns off in 5-6 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.