Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to Do If I Forgot My iPad Password?

“What to do if I forgot my iPad password? I forgot the lock screen password for an iPad mini, and entered the wrong passcode, again and again, causing the iPad to be disabled. I can’t find a solution despite trying to fix. Is there a way to unlock it?”

Forgot the password set for iPad and locked out of the device? Probably because you have recently changed your password (especially when drunk). Then, you can’t remember your new iPad password.

If you forgot your iPad password, no matter how it happened, can you regain access of the device? Of course, you can. Although you can’t recover your forgotten password, it’s possible for you to remove the forgotten iPad password and use it as a brand new one.

This article will introduce 3 solutions to help if you forgot an iPad password. The methods are detailed step by step. Please choose the most suitable solution according to your specific situation. (It’s worth noting that the following methods will delete all data completely because they will unlock your disabled iPad via restoring the device to factory settings.

Part 1. The iPad Password You Forgot: Screen Lock or Apple ID?

iPad’s Screen Lock Password and Apple ID password are 2 different passwords unless you use the same string of characters or numbers as the password. Please check the difference between these two types of passwords:

Forgot Screen Lock Password: Unable to unlock your iPad (a 4-digit or 6-digit password). Multiple failure attempts will cause IPad is Disabled. You need to restore the device to factory settings.

(But please pay attention that after restoring, you need to set up the iPad with Apple ID. If you don’t have your Apple ID, then it won’t work. In this case, you are recommended to first check what to do if forgot Apple ID in Part 3.)

Forgot Apple ID password: You can no longer download apps or purchase items from iTunes.

Part 2. What to Do If I Forgot iPad Screen Lock Password?

When forgetting the iPad password, of course, you can’t easily reset the device’s lock screen because of Apple’s privacy policy. So, please follow the instructions below.

(Please know: no matter you use iTunes or Find my iPhone to remove screen lock password, all the data and settings will be erased. Because both will factories reset your device.) And so far, there’s no way to unlock iPad without losing data.

[Link Edited by Host]

iPhone XS

Posted on Mar 16, 2019 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2019 3:35 AM

...So, please follow the instructions below...

You haven't actually posted the instructions. These can be found at

https://support.apple.com/HT204306

If you feel this information is helpful it's better to post it as a User Tip since the forums are really intended for asking questions, and the title of your post is more likely to attract people thinking you have asked for advice than people seeking it. Instructions on posting a User Tip here:

How to write User Tips - Apple Support

You have used URL shorteners for your links and I would advise against doing this. Though it's not the case here, they are often used to disguise malicious content and consequently viewers are often wary of following them since there is no indication on checking the link of what they will find.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2019 3:35 AM in response to rahulitblog

...So, please follow the instructions below...

You haven't actually posted the instructions. These can be found at

https://support.apple.com/HT204306

If you feel this information is helpful it's better to post it as a User Tip since the forums are really intended for asking questions, and the title of your post is more likely to attract people thinking you have asked for advice than people seeking it. Instructions on posting a User Tip here:

How to write User Tips - Apple Support

You have used URL shorteners for your links and I would advise against doing this. Though it's not the case here, they are often used to disguise malicious content and consequently viewers are often wary of following them since there is no indication on checking the link of what they will find.

Mar 16, 2019 4:32 AM in response to stedman1

Good morning Roger. The OP is a spammer, with no interest in solving his issue or that of others.

Roger, could you please report the thread below to remove the spammy link? I have reported it already with no result.

Deleted App Store - Apple Community

To be fair, the links in his posts in that thread and this one do lead to legitimate Apple pages: I have pointed out the inadvisability of using URL shorteners to him. The single link in each of the other two posts have been removed by the Hosts. I've also pointed out that these posts would be better off as User Tips.

What to Do If I Forgot My iPad Password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.