Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow wifi in Macbook Pro

Hi everybody,

I'm asking for help because the problem I'm having is driving me crazy.

I have a Macbook Pro connected via Wifi to a router which is right next to it. My connection goes up to 80mbps, which I can verify on the modem/router itself, on my iPhone which is itself connected to the same network, and my PC.

On my iPhone I have no problem, 80mbps. On my desktop PC no problem, still 80mbps. On my MBP (2016 with touchbar, with Mojave) when I restart the system it goes up to 60mbps, which is still not 80mbps but it's acceptable (but I still don't know why I can't reach 80mbps when at the same exact moment, on my iPhone, I get 80).

I have no problem for some hours, then I go away and just close the Macbook (not shutting it down or putting it to sleep, just closing the screen) and when I reopen it, boom, 10-20mbps is all I can get. The speedtest goes to 40/60mbps for half a second and then quickly goes down to 10-20. It stays at 10-20mbps until I restart the system, and when I restart, it goes up to 60 again.

This things is driving me CRAZY. The router has no specific configurations for my MBP (it's treated the same as my iPhone), I don't have any program using internet, I have tried deleting my wifi configuration files (it was explained in some article online) with no luck. Also, I have just upgraded to the latest version of Mojave, no luck either (I don't know if this thing happened with High Sierra because at the time I had a bad connection). Also my connection is working fine and always stays at 80mbps, which is the result I get running the speedtest on iPhone and PC.

Suggestions? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 17, 2019 4:40 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 17, 2019 6:48 PM in response to usergalileo

DTM (Data Transfer Rate) on a Mac

Use Network Utility to see the official Link Speed on your Mac: Going into the Info tab, you will see a Link Speed. What is the official speed that you see?

To make optimum use of a router’s Data Transfer Rate(DTM) on your Mac, use a particular router: a router with a DTM that outdoes the speed of your Mac.

If much is going on within your network (i.e. gaming, file sharing, and streaming), consider upgrading your router. Throughout will not max out; it will only meet up to what it can.

Mar 18, 2019 2:53 AM in response to TheLittles

The Network Utility gives me a Link Speed of 217Mbit/s, and my router also confirms this info (the router tells me the max speed of each connected device). My router should have no problems, it's a new one and the brand is one of the most reliable ones, in fact I only have this problem with my Macbook. It has far more bandwidth than my Macbook, around 450Mbit/s.

It's not a router/speed problem because with every other device it works fine.

Also there is absolutely nothing going on within my network: in fact, if I go to Network Utility, "Sent packets" stays almost still until I take the speedtest.

Slow wifi in Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.