Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Slow on MacBook Pro compared to iPad and iPhone

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, 8GB Ram, i7 processor running Catalina 10.15.7 connected to the Internet via wifi. Comcast upgraded my Internet speed to 600 MBS. When I run speed test on my 2020 iPad Air and iPhone 8 both are close to 600 MBS. When I run speed test on MacBook Pro, it tops off around between 100 to 200 MBS. When I disconnect wifi and connect via ethernet, the speed is the same as the iPad Air and iPhone. This problem started after I updated to 10.15.7.

I have tried resetting the router, turning wifi on and off but to no avail. Since I use the iPad Air as my main mobile device, I can live with using ethernet on the laptop but I am wondering why the speed is so different. Does anyone have any suggestions. I worked in IT before I retired but not in networking.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 12:22 PM

How old is your iPad and your iPhone ? Are they 2012 too?of course not…

wireless technologies change drastically in a few years…so they have a faster wireless card than your MacBook…

The 2012 MBP has a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 300 Mbps wirelessly in a perfect lab environment. So , your 100~200Mbps sound about right

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 12:22 PM in response to AF74-95

How old is your iPad and your iPhone ? Are they 2012 too?of course not…

wireless technologies change drastically in a few years…so they have a faster wireless card than your MacBook…

The 2012 MBP has a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 300 Mbps wirelessly in a perfect lab environment. So , your 100~200Mbps sound about right

Dec 17, 2021 5:40 PM in response to Sonicray

Sonicray, thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if it was the wireless card or a software glitch. I was running El Capitan when I had Xfinity wifi installed at 300 mbps and the Xfinity tech showed me speeds right around 300. Since I can connect via ethernet cable, there is no reason to ditch the laptop for a newer one. Once Apple stops supporting Catalina, I will wipe it and load Linux Mint or Ubuntu on it.

Wifi Slow on MacBook Pro compared to iPad and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.