Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Filter has limitations?

I use filter very often. It would be nice to have an icon for Quick Filter but I see no such customisation

I also noticed that QuickFilter only filters 25 items.

It is easy to reproduce this: make a list of numbers 1 2 3 ... up to 30 and test it

Posted on Mar 18, 2019 2:02 AM

8 replies

Mar 18, 2019 5:11 AM in response to Bomiboll

Hi Bomiboll,

Yes quick filter has a limit of 25 items.

But if you include another column to assign categories to each item, you can use just one filter.

The table Filter has a Pop-Up menu of each category in Table 1.

Formula in Table 1 C2 (and Fill Down)

=IF(B2=Filter::$A$2,"Show","")

Now apply one quick filter to Column C of Table 1

Or this

You can hide Column C of Table 1.

Or, use the built-in Categories feature in Numbers

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 18, 2019 7:14 AM in response to Bomiboll

Hi Bomiboll,

Forget about the Categories feature if that is not working for you.

I suggest that you use the Filter feature instead.

I apologise for using Category as a column heading. That is confusing. Let's call that column Group.

Duplicate the original table.

Remove the Filter on the original table, and delete the Show column.

Keep the Filter and the Show column in the duplicate table (Filtered Table).

Now tidy up by hiding columns.

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 18, 2019 4:34 AM in response to Bomiboll

We're your fellow users here. You can give feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu.

You are correct that there is a limit on the number of items in Quick Filter. That may be a sign that you have too many categories. But of course you can use the right inspector panel to set up virtually any kind of filter you want.

Have you tried the Categories feature? Click in a column and in your menu got to Organize > Add Category for ...

SG

Mar 18, 2019 7:47 AM in response to Bomiboll

not easy to correct because this is not easily discovered and I wonder how to correct it

Just expand both disclosure triangles. Then select a cell in the category column under one of the triangles and command-c to copy. Then select all the cells in the category column under the other triangle and command-v to paste. That should insure that you have the identical value, and the mystery duplicate should disappear. Then, if needed, you can then try turning off Categories (Organize menu) and turning it back on again.

SG

Quick Filter has limitations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.