Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Won't Close/Quit (MacBook Pro 10.14.3)

For about 4 days now, my MacBook Pro opens with Safari in the top menu bar.

I can manually close it, and it does not appear in the Force Quit items, but every time I restart my MacBook Safari is open.

How can I get Safari to fully close/quit, so that when I turn on and login to my MacBook, Safari is not already open?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 6:29 AM

Maybe i can help you,Linda Appleseed. Go to the big apple icon at the top left

of your screen. Go to system preferences, then users and groups( accounts?? Used to be called that) click on the house icon, or your login picture on the left. On the right, towards the bottom, you should see advanced. Click on it, and you should see Login Items. Uncheck safari if it’s checked. You might have to unlock it. Use your main login name & password. When you are done, lock it, quit it, get out of there. You can also use Activity monitor( found in Utilities folder) to stop safari for now. If you restart your mac book pro, safari should be there. You can also remove it from the Dock.

Good luck

john b

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2019 6:29 AM in response to Linda Appleseed

Maybe i can help you,Linda Appleseed. Go to the big apple icon at the top left

of your screen. Go to system preferences, then users and groups( accounts?? Used to be called that) click on the house icon, or your login picture on the left. On the right, towards the bottom, you should see advanced. Click on it, and you should see Login Items. Uncheck safari if it’s checked. You might have to unlock it. Use your main login name & password. When you are done, lock it, quit it, get out of there. You can also use Activity monitor( found in Utilities folder) to stop safari for now. If you restart your mac book pro, safari should be there. You can also remove it from the Dock.

Good luck

john b

Mar 20, 2019 6:58 AM in response to Johnb-one

john b,

That was it!! I unchecked Safari, logged out/shut down - Restarted, logged in and Safari was no longer activated.

So, why/how did this just suddenly start happening if I never went in and manually changed this setting for Safari to open at startup (I'm the only user and the admin)? Just a fluke or is it something I did to activate it?

Thanks for the superb instructions - worked the first time I tried.

Linda Appleseed

Mar 20, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Johnb-one

John b,

Since resolving the issue, it has come up again! I've done nothing to change this setting and after shutting down my macbook to have lunch and do errands, I started it up and logged in, only to find Safari is again active and running.

I can go in and change the setting, but it keeps occurring - anymore suggestions for resolving this???

Safari Won't Close/Quit (MacBook Pro 10.14.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.