Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to share files in the "Shared" folder

Dear all,

We are 2 users of our iMacs, and we would like to have a place to share files. We thought that the "Shared" folder was the right place, however it does not work as expected : If I create a folder and files within this folder, the other user will not be able to re-name the folder/files without being asked for his password, and even worse he will not be able to make changes in the documents, although all users are defined as having the "read and write" access on the Shared folder.

For it to work, I need first to change the settings of the file to make the other user read&write, then the other user needs to move the file to his desktop, and here only he can make the changes and then bring the file back to Shared folders.

This is not convenient at all, we would like to have a true shared area !

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 9:39 AM

Dear all,
We are 2 users of our iMacs, and we would like to have a place to share files. We thought that the "Shared" folder was the right place, however it does not work as expected : If I create a folder and files within this folder, the other user will not be able to re-name the folder/files without being asked for his password, and even worse he will not be able to make changes in the documents, although all users are defined as having the "read and write" access on the Shared folder.
For it to work, I need first to change the settings of the file to make the other user read&write, then the other user needs to move the file to his desktop, and here only he can make the changes and then bring the file back to Shared folders.

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

File Sharing - Apple Support

How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac - Apple Support

Use File Sharing to share files - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2019 9:39 AM in response to briderix

Dear all,

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

File Sharing - Apple Support

How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac - Apple Support

Use File Sharing to share files - Apple Support

How to share files in the "Shared" folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.