Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing between 2 Macs with the same Apple ID

Hello,

I have an iMac and MacBook, both running latest MacOS. I wanted to download some files from iMac to MacBook.

Both Macs are mine so both are signed to the same Apple ID. However, when I try to connect to iMac from MacBook, I have a problem. I can see iMac on the left side manu in Finder:

• I click on that
  • click on Connect as
  • there I tried connect as user or connect with apple id (both successfully connected
  • when I navigate to Download folder, it shows empty folder - no files even there are many

When I tried to create new folder there, it said that I don't have rights to do that. I checked other folders and sometimes I can see some files, sometimes I can't.

I tried to set up File sharing in Settings for the download folder, but it didn't help ether.

Any idea? I thought that if I connect between them with the same Apple ID, I would see everything.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 11:31 PM

Hi jakudo,

See if this article helps: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support. Files to appear on both must either be in Desktop or Documents.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 25, 2021 11:36 PM in response to Jack-19

Well, I have iCloud drive (2TB in Family Sharing), but some folders (such as Downloads) I don't want to be sync across the devices via iCloud drive.

For example I downloaded footage from my security cameras when we were doing some construction and wanted to create a movie from that. It has about 50 GB, so I don't need to upload/download it to/from iCloud Drive.

First I wanted to do the iMovie clip on iMac but when I bought Macbook with M1 chip, I wanted to try it on the MacBook. However, I have a problem to copy the files from iMac to MacBook. I did it via NAS I have at home. However, I was curious, why that files network sharing doesn't work as expected.

File sharing between 2 Macs with the same Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.