Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to network 2 Macs?

I am trying to connect 2 Macs running on Monterey. One is a MacBookAir (M1, 2020) and the other one is am iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017).

I can see the iMac's folders/files from the MacBook Air but I cannot see the MacBook Air files from the iMac.

Below is the setup.

Both Macs have the identical setup:

• File Sharing checked and my user folder (Julio) added under Share folders.
  • File Sharing - Users: "my user name" is added with Read...Write permission
  • Options has SMB checked.
  • When opening Finder and selecting Getting Info on "Julio" folder, the Share Folder box is checked.
  • When opening Finder and selecting Getting Info on "Documents" folder under "Julio", the Shared folder box is not checked (tried checking documents but it didn't make a difference other than adding the "Documents Folder" to the list of folders under Shared Folders.

I've read as many articles as I found online but I just can't figure out what I am missing.

Any direction is welcome.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 10:58 AM

Julio M wrote:

• I am trying to connect 2 Macs running on Monterey. One is a MacBookAir (M1, 2020) and the other one is am iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017).

I can see the iMac's folders/files from the MacBook Air but I cannot see the MacBook Air files from the iMac.

Below is the setup.

File Sharing checked and my user folder (Julio) added under Share folders.
Options has SMB checked.
• When opening Finder and selecting Getting Info on "Julio" folder, the Share Folder box is checked.
• When opening Finder and selecting Getting Info on "Documents" folder under "Julio", the Shared folder box is not checked (tried checking documents but it didn't make a difference other than adding the "Documents Folder" to the list of folders under Shared Folders.

I've read as many articles as I found online but I just can't figure out what I am missing.

See if you need to add/ennable anything to "Full Disk Access."

>System Preferences>Security&Privacy>Privacy>Full Disk Access +/-

ref: Controlling app access to files in macOS - Apple Support

ref: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-file-sharing-on-mac-mh17131/mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 10:58 AM in response to Julio M

Julio M wrote:

• I am trying to connect 2 Macs running on Monterey. One is a MacBookAir (M1, 2020) and the other one is am iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017).

Below is the setup.

File Sharing checked and my user folder (Julio) added under Share folders.
Options has SMB checked.

See if you need to add/ennable anything to "Full Disk Access."

>System Preferences>Security&Privacy>Privacy>Full Disk Access +/-

ref: Controlling app access to files in macOS - Apple Support

ref: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-file-sharing-on-mac-mh17131/mac

How to network 2 Macs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.