Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing Using Monterey

I've added a Mac Mini to my network running Monterey 12.2.1 with three drives in an enclosure to use as a home computer/server.

It replaced a MacPro which is now in another location with two of the drives removed and installed in the enclosure on the Mini. I used this Pro as my home/server for many years and could access the drives and files from my MacBook Air without issue.

Now I can find the Mini on my Air and connect to it as a server but it does not show up on the finder sidebar under Locations and when I connect it shows me all the folders in those drives. When I attempt to open the folder to access a file I get "The operation can't be completed because the original item for "xxx" can't be found." Also when I connect from the Mini to the Air it does not show under the Mini's Location area of the Finder sidebar.

I been through all the permissions and preferences menus I can think of but no joy.

Nick

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 8:12 AM

Solved!

Thanks to Logan at Apple Support the problem has been solved.

The solution had me UNselect the file sharing box in the sharing preferences on both computers then restart both. After the reboot I then turned it back on and now all is normal. The Mini shows up under locations on the Air and I'm able to access files both ways.

Possibly something stuck in a cache of some sort.

Thanks to all.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Stokester

Solved!

Thanks to Logan at Apple Support the problem has been solved.

The solution had me UNselect the file sharing box in the sharing preferences on both computers then restart both. After the reboot I then turned it back on and now all is normal. The Mini shows up under locations on the Air and I'm able to access files both ways.

Possibly something stuck in a cache of some sort.

Thanks to all.

Mar 14, 2022 8:18 AM in response to Stokester

Hello Stokester,

If you're not seeing your Mac mini in the Locations section of the Finder sidebar on your MacBook Air, you'll want to make sure you followed the steps below to connect to the Mac mini correctly:

Connect to a computer or server by browsing
1. On your Mac, click the Finder icon  in the Dock to open a Finder window, then click Network in the Locations section of the sidebar.
2. If no items appear in the Locations section of the sidebar, hold the pointer over the word Locations, then click the arrow .

You'll find these steps here: Connect your Mac to shared computers and servers

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2022 9:02 AM in response to Sparks0829

Thanks for the reply but I've been using my old MacPro as a pseudo network server for some time and it always shows up in the Locations section of the Finder sidebar. My new Mini never does even after selecting network and connecting.

I can work with it not appearing in the sidebar but even when I do connect through the Network selection to the folders it will not give me access to any files. I frequently get "The operation can't be completed because the original item for "xxx" can't be found".

I was and still can reach any of the drives on my MacPro but am not able on the Mini.

Nick

Mar 15, 2022 7:48 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Thanks Jeff.

I'm running TotalAV on all my Macs and never any issue before and still do not with the MacPro.

Totally stumped here. I've checked to ensure all the drives and folders are shared and the permissions should allow me to access the files across my network.

The new Mini and my Air are both running on Monterey while the old MacPro is at its limit with Mojave. The Pro shows up in the locations area of the Finder sidebar on both the Mini and Air and I can access files on all the drives. As mentioned, the Mini does not show up in the sidebar on either the Pro or Air but I can access it through the Network location and see each of the attached drives. When I attempt to open a folder I either get "The operation can't be completed because the original item for "xxx" can't be found" or "There is no application set to open the document "xxx".

Why is it searching for an application just to open a folder?

Mar 16, 2022 9:45 AM in response to 1ssmith

I was hoping someone else had encountered this issue and it was no more than changing a permission or something similar.

To recap, connecting the drives on my new Mini will not allow access to the files; folders, yes but errors when I attempt to open them. Was able to access the files in my old MacPro on the same network using the same permissions. Files on the Mini are accessible directly but not from other computers on the network.

It appears direct Apple support is mainly for hardware and software installation problems.

File Sharing Using Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.