Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to share an external drive from Monterey OS?

I have a GRAID external Thunderbolt 3 drive that is connected directly to an M1 Mini running the Monterey OS. The array is formated as HFS+ and runs fine, and has wide open everyone-read/write permissions at the root level. The OS is set up to allow file sharing for this drive.

When I Command-I to see the external drive's info, the "Shared Folder" checkbox is NOT clicked. I can click/enable it, then close the Info dialog. However, the next time you open it with Comand-I, the checkbox for "Shared Folder" is again unchecked. It won't stay enabled once the box is closed, and Info dialog is unlocked and I am the administrator on the system.

At no point will the drive appear to my other windows machines on the network, although I can see the mac itself (via a UNC pathname, i.e. \\mymac on the network). However, the windows machines never see the mac shared drive.

I have other non-M1 macs and pcs on the network and this has always worked fine. What might we be overlooking in this case? Is this something new with the M1 Macs?

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 7:39 AM

In System Preferences/Sharing, have you added the drive in the Shared Folders window and clicked on the Options button to enable Windows sharing from your account?

Similar questions

1 reply

How to share an external drive from Monterey OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.