Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro space and arrow keys not working with flash player

I have the oddest issue ever. In most flash games, my space bar doesn't work. I was messing around in club penguin, but can't play many of the games. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13" with the Touch Bar. The odd thing is the specificness of this problem. The space works everywhere in downloaded games such as Minecraft, in word processors like word, and even here while I am typing this, it will work. On some of the flash games too, it will say "press spacebar to continue" and it works, but then I need to jump (and yes, spacebar is used to jump), but it doesn't work. The window IS selected so that isn't the issue. I've had this issue in different places than just club penguin like miniclip games. I just recently did a complete factory reset of my computer, but that didn't help either. Does anyone have any ideas? This is quite annoying. I've found forms of people from 5+ years ago having the same issue, so if there is a solution, I would love to know it.

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 9:54 PM

5 replies

Mar 21, 2019 11:26 AM in response to Xx_Peter_xX

Well, I just read on the Adobe website that this is a problem with Adobe Flash Player and Safari. A user on that site says that this spacebar problem does NOT manifest itself when using the Chrome web browser. You might want to give that a try to confirm what they say. It might be inconvenient to switch web browsers, but at least it is a potential solution. :)

Here is how an Adobe rep responded to the issue:

"A few observations:

• We have an extensive test suite that we run with each release, and we
  • proactively test with advanced copies of MacOS and Safari.  That test
  • suite covers keyboard input in depth, and those tests are passing.
  • This is the same configuration that I'm currently using, and the space bar totally works for me in Safari.
  • This is the only complaint that I've ever heard about just the spacebar not
  • working in Safari, ever.  If it was catastrophically broken, there would
  • be a lot of traffic on it.  There are still a lot of Safari users using
  • Flash.

So, I believe that you're seeing the symptoms that you describe, but the

problem is probably very nuanced.  It may be specific to how these games

are detecting keyboard input.  It's hard to say without actually

attempting to reproduce it.  If I can see it on a machine with an

identical configuration, I can debug it and figure out why the key event

isn't getting fired.  If I can't reproduce it on an identical config,

it points to something weird going on with your machine (plugins, weird

language quirk, configurations?).

To that end, I really need links to the games that are affected and

directions on how to reproduce the problem, if it's not super obvious."

Mar 21, 2019 7:43 AM in response to WordWeaver777

this happens with most if not all flash games though, not just one specific one. I would think it is more a problem with the flash player than the game. The odd thing though is that in some instances in flash, the spacebar does work (e.g. chatting, or pressing space to reset the game), but while actually playing the game, the space doesn't work (e.g. space to jump, flip, etc). Once again, it happens with many games on many different websites, not just one.

MacBook Pro space and arrow keys not working with flash player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.