Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2017 battery problem

I have a macbook pro 2017 about 1.7 years ago.

I feel like macbook have a battery problem

such as use time 6-7 hours from 9 hours.

I found when charge 100% my Full Charge Capacity is 5810 mAh and Charge Remaining is 5749 mAh (both should be 6669+-200 mAh).

My cycle count is 98.

I think It's more unusual than it should be.

I need to know. Is this case in warranty?

this is full power system information report.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: D8*****CAU

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 702

Hardware Revision: 1

Cell Revision: 3925

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5749

Fully Charged: Yes

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5810

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 98

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 12882

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 28800

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 0

Current Power Source: Yes

DarkWakeBackgroundTasks: 1

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

GPUSwitch: 2

Hibernate Mode: 3

High Standby Delay: 86400

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

ProximityDarkWake: 1

Standby Battery Threshold: 50

Standby Delay: 10800

Standby Enabled: 1

TCPKeepAlivePref: 1

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 28800

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1

DarkWakeBackgroundTasks: 0

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

GPUSwitch: 2

Hibernate Mode: 3

High Standby Delay: 86400

ProximityDarkWake: 0

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Standby Battery Threshold: 50

Standby Delay: 10800

Standby Enabled: 1

TCPKeepAlivePref: 1

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x1656

Wattage (W): 86

Serial Number: C0472730C8YGW85A4

Name: 87W USB-C Power Adapter

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Hardware Version: 1.0

Firmware Version: 1070069

Charging: No

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 7:46 AM

I do not see a problem. I see normal.

The type of battery in your MacBook Pro looses capacity over time. Think of the analogy of a metal water bottle you carry on hikes. When new, it held 16 ounces when full. After a few years of hard use and falling onto rocks, it gets dented and the dents reduce internal capacity. Now it holds only 15 ounces when full and is at 94 percent of its original or "Design" capacity.

Where did you find the 6669±200mAh value? Apple doesn't publish design capacity values for its batteries but some third-party utilities can read them.

Your cycle count looks fine. I feel 2-3 cycles a month is sufficient to keep the battery working properly and you are doing almost five--good. Like muscles, these batteries need exercise and yours appear to be commensurate with your computer age. I wish I had a dollar for every post about battery problems I've seen here over the last 18 years that started with, "I don't understand! I never use it on battery power!"

I use Coconut Battery (https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/)† to view my notebooks' battery condition and it includes the design capacity. This is that app's report on my 2012 MacBook Pro I bought in summer 2013 that still has its origianl battery:

The design capacity for that model's battery is shown as 5770 mAh; it should be higher for your15-inch model. "Health" is current Full Charge Capacity divided by Design Capacity. Get the app and see why it reports for "health" percentage on your battery.

As for warranty even with AppleCare, Apple says a battery is still fine if it maintains 80 percent health at 1000 cycles. It would have to be under 80 percent and under 1000 cycles to get any warranty action based on a long history of reports here.

I can see you are concerned so, if what I've said doesn't give you comfort, by all means make an appointment with an Apple Store Genius Bar and have them evaluate. I am reasonably sure that they will also say you have a normal battery but peace of mind is important.

† -- get the app only from the developer's site I linked. Some unscrupulous download hosting sites offer it but are likely to give you the free gift of some nasty adware to go with it.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2019 7:46 AM in response to RedShrine

I do not see a problem. I see normal.

The type of battery in your MacBook Pro looses capacity over time. Think of the analogy of a metal water bottle you carry on hikes. When new, it held 16 ounces when full. After a few years of hard use and falling onto rocks, it gets dented and the dents reduce internal capacity. Now it holds only 15 ounces when full and is at 94 percent of its original or "Design" capacity.

Where did you find the 6669±200mAh value? Apple doesn't publish design capacity values for its batteries but some third-party utilities can read them.

Your cycle count looks fine. I feel 2-3 cycles a month is sufficient to keep the battery working properly and you are doing almost five--good. Like muscles, these batteries need exercise and yours appear to be commensurate with your computer age. I wish I had a dollar for every post about battery problems I've seen here over the last 18 years that started with, "I don't understand! I never use it on battery power!"

I use Coconut Battery (https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/)† to view my notebooks' battery condition and it includes the design capacity. This is that app's report on my 2012 MacBook Pro I bought in summer 2013 that still has its origianl battery:

The design capacity for that model's battery is shown as 5770 mAh; it should be higher for your15-inch model. "Health" is current Full Charge Capacity divided by Design Capacity. Get the app and see why it reports for "health" percentage on your battery.

As for warranty even with AppleCare, Apple says a battery is still fine if it maintains 80 percent health at 1000 cycles. It would have to be under 80 percent and under 1000 cycles to get any warranty action based on a long history of reports here.

I can see you are concerned so, if what I've said doesn't give you comfort, by all means make an appointment with an Apple Store Genius Bar and have them evaluate. I am reasonably sure that they will also say you have a normal battery but peace of mind is important.

† -- get the app only from the developer's site I linked. Some unscrupulous download hosting sites offer it but are likely to give you the free gift of some nasty adware to go with it.

Mar 21, 2019 10:38 AM in response to RedShrine

Also the manufacturing date is whacked. Shows the year as 2560! Not sure where that is coming from. The number of days appears correct. My copy of CB is the latest and the dates show normally and consistent with when I bought the computer. I wonder if something with Mojave is causing that. Mine is still at 10.13 High Sierra.

I've seen the status bar charge level and the C-Battery charge level vary before. I find that the two reports usually match after a restart. If not, do an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't change it, then let Apple evaluate.

Mar 21, 2019 8:57 AM in response to Allan Jones

I take it from coconutBattery and attach coconut screenshot in this post but my upload image was gone for unknown reason.

this is my re-upload coconutBattery screenshot (capture at 2562-03-21 14.49.44):

you can see Macbook Pro 2017 model have Design Capacity much more than previous generation at 6669mAh.

and now 100% charge in past 8 hours screenshot (capture at 2562-03-21 22.44.27):

you can see coconut show as 95% charge but my Macbook Pro say 100% on the top right of screen.

and my Full Charge Capacity has decrease everytime.

I think It has a problem exactly.

Macbook Pro 2017 battery problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.