Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Torsolo di mela ... apple core

Ho lavorato per 30 con i computer della Mela e oggi mi ritrovo con una catasta di lavori che non posso più neppure rivedere perche' non vengono più rilasciati aggiornamenti, vecchie versioni e pezzi fondamentali di ricambio di macchine, ancora giovani, come i MacBook Pro del 2008. La mela e' "usa e getta"?

I worked for 30 with the computers of the Apple and today I find myself with a pile of works that I can't even see again because there are no more updates, old versions and fundamental spare parts for machines, still young, like the MacBook Pro of the 2008.

Is the apple "disposable"?

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 12:54 AM

Sorry I'm late, but now it's eight in the morning.

I have an American typewriter, with a fixed cart, which dates back to the end of the 19th century and which belonged to Luigi Pirandello (he gave it to my grandfather, writer and poet too), I would pay € 1000 to see it work ... not for replace this keyboard! Large stores are not needed, only the essentials and in limited numbers and aimed at simple operation. It is a long-term investment: the first three years, as a guarantee; within 5 years at a reasonable price; from 5 to ten, with a strong charge; over 10 years, at even expensive costs. Part of the capital is lost, the rest is preserved and recovered, together with the image of absolute reliability and durability. A 10-year-old car is not vintage, it is after 15-20. By 10 it is just an old machine that ages with those who, like me, no longer (alas) have any interest in buying news and updates, but don't want to lose their memories.

Thank you for listening to me and, if you can, turn my opinions upstairs.

Greetings from Agrigento

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2019 12:54 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Sorry I'm late, but now it's eight in the morning.

I have an American typewriter, with a fixed cart, which dates back to the end of the 19th century and which belonged to Luigi Pirandello (he gave it to my grandfather, writer and poet too), I would pay € 1000 to see it work ... not for replace this keyboard! Large stores are not needed, only the essentials and in limited numbers and aimed at simple operation. It is a long-term investment: the first three years, as a guarantee; within 5 years at a reasonable price; from 5 to ten, with a strong charge; over 10 years, at even expensive costs. Part of the capital is lost, the rest is preserved and recovered, together with the image of absolute reliability and durability. A 10-year-old car is not vintage, it is after 15-20. By 10 it is just an old machine that ages with those who, like me, no longer (alas) have any interest in buying news and updates, but don't want to lose their memories.

Thank you for listening to me and, if you can, turn my opinions upstairs.

Greetings from Agrigento

Mar 21, 2019 10:37 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

348/5000

Change or not change? This is not the problem. Here we are talking about graphic architecture projects, whole databases of calculations ... which may need to be reviewed. There are precise responsibilities to be respected by Apple, keeping as the given word, not only the possible efficiency of the machines.

Are you an Apple employee?

Mar 21, 2019 11:05 AM in response to Scontenti

No I am not an Apple employee. But I know that modern apps will not work on old hardware. Technology changes. Eleven years is a long time when dealing with technology. For example, if an app needs 16GB RAM to run it will not run on a computer having only 2GB RAM. If an app needs 64 bit architecture to run, it will not run on a 32bit architecture computer. Apps improve, hardware improves, and users need to upgrade as technology improves.

Mar 21, 2019 12:41 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I didn't discuss this! I would just like to make what I already have work. I don't want to run new programs on old machines, but old programs on old machines. This would allow me to review things I did even 15 years ago, a normal time frame in the field of building design and architecture (just think that many works have not yet been completed). The inability to manage old archives (slow and outdated, ok) is due to the fact that Apple does not provide a trivial spare internal cable, for example.

I think it's time for Apple to change policy to protect consumers. I also have new machines, the old ones I use for fishing up old things in the archives.

Mar 21, 2019 12:53 PM in response to Scontenti

Sorry I misunderstood what you were discussing. Manufacturers don't provide parts for obsolete or vintage cars either. TV and radio manufacturers don't provide tubes for example for old TVs. How long would you suggest Apple provide parts for obsolete or vintage computers?

All I can suggest is it is up to the user to keep his data in a format to be used as technology changes.

Torsolo di mela ... apple core

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.