Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canadian iPhone, US SIM card

Can I use an unlocked iPhone that I got at apple.ca with a US SIM card that I buy down in the states? Not a Canada-US roaming plan with a Canadian card, but an actual US plan card like through AT&T or Sprint?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 2:37 PM

If the phone is unlocked, then yes, a US AT&T or T-Mobile SIM will work. Actually any GSM SIM worldwide will work. Sprint or Verizon probably won't, however, as they are CDMA carriers. The way to check: Go to Settings/General/About. Look for the IMEI. Is there an MEID listed below it? If there is the phone is CDMA compatible. If not, then it won't work with a CDMA carrier.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2019 2:37 PM in response to Megan2711

If the phone is unlocked, then yes, a US AT&T or T-Mobile SIM will work. Actually any GSM SIM worldwide will work. Sprint or Verizon probably won't, however, as they are CDMA carriers. The way to check: Go to Settings/General/About. Look for the IMEI. Is there an MEID listed below it? If there is the phone is CDMA compatible. If not, then it won't work with a CDMA carrier.

Canadian iPhone, US SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.