Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fast draining battery

Ugh, I got a new battery installed in my mid-2010 MacBook Pro, High Sierra, 2.66GHZ i7 intel core, 4GB ram, last June. Last night, I shut down everything that was open, put it on sleep, and charged it. As soon as I began using it today, the battery is draining like 1% every minute. I know this isn't normal. The battery that was installed was supposed to be new. It's a Newer Tech battery.

Previously, I would shut down the computer when not in use. Then I read that I should just put it on sleep, as shutting it down and powering back up is too taxing. So I've been putting it on sleep whenever I'm not using it (when I'm sleeping).

Totally stressed out about this. What could have happened overnight to cause this issue?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 3:11 PM

If you have not already, try to do a restart. It's surprising how many issues can be resolved by a power cycle.

Other than that you can see if there is anything weird going on software wise in Activity Monitor

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

This is also a great resource:

About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2019 3:11 PM in response to goldfinch50

If you have not already, try to do a restart. It's surprising how many issues can be resolved by a power cycle.

Other than that you can see if there is anything weird going on software wise in Activity Monitor

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

This is also a great resource:

About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

Fast draining battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.