Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orphaned APFS container

I have an apparently orphaned APFS container on an external hard disk which is showing as uninitialised as shown in the screenshot below.

Is there a way of fixing this? - first aid cannot run, cannot mount the drive in either the orphaned state or the original container. I'm not too worried about losing the contents of the container, but I want to be able to use it again

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 10:00 AM

Well I never - I had to close down the machine to go to a meeting and all the drives where ejected.

I just tried to erase the APFS partition and this time it worked. So I've not lost the Time Machine partition and I can now access the rest of the drive and use it!

Happy days - but it would be useful to understand what caused the problem in the first place! Too late for RCA now though!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2019 10:00 AM in response to Ally Gill

Well I never - I had to close down the machine to go to a meeting and all the drives where ejected.

I just tried to erase the APFS partition and this time it worked. So I've not lost the Time Machine partition and I can now access the rest of the drive and use it!

Happy days - but it would be useful to understand what caused the problem in the first place! Too late for RCA now though!

Orphaned APFS container

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.