Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library empty or delete to save storage on mac

Hi.

I am using a software called CleanMyMac, which shows me that my Photos Library takes up about 60GB on my macbook pro. I have my Photos synched with iCloud, so am wondering why it takes up so much space on my computer?

I would also like to know if it is safe to empty og delete this file? I asume that all my photos and videos are stored on iCloud and that emptying the Photos Library will not disrupt any functionality?

Please see screenshot for further explanation.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 5:20 AM

You need the Photos Library to run the Photos.app. Even if you are using iCloud Photos, the Photos.app needs a local copy of the library. To save storage for Photos on your Mac, enable "Optimize Mac Storage" in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud. Then iCloud will automatically remove large videos and image files from your Mac, if you need more free storage. This is fully automatic. The photos you recently used will remain stored locally for fast access and older photos will be removed.

But do not let CleanMyMac touch your library. It can corrupt your Photos Library badly. Apple is warning against such applications, see Apple's warning: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

When I tested this application, many photos were missing or incorrectly linked. My Test Photo Libraries needed to be restored from my backup.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2019 5:20 AM in response to vayu

You need the Photos Library to run the Photos.app. Even if you are using iCloud Photos, the Photos.app needs a local copy of the library. To save storage for Photos on your Mac, enable "Optimize Mac Storage" in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud. Then iCloud will automatically remove large videos and image files from your Mac, if you need more free storage. This is fully automatic. The photos you recently used will remain stored locally for fast access and older photos will be removed.

But do not let CleanMyMac touch your library. It can corrupt your Photos Library badly. Apple is warning against such applications, see Apple's warning: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

When I tested this application, many photos were missing or incorrectly linked. My Test Photo Libraries needed to be restored from my backup.

Photos Library empty or delete to save storage on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.