Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo library consuming too much of my limited storage space

My photos are supposed to be stored on iCloud with only a small version stored on my computer, but I have a photo library that takes up about 76 gig, It's the single biggest consumer of space on my MacBook Air. I'm virtually out of storage space (I don't have enough to update system software) and need to free some up. I'm wondering if the big photo library is a duplicate that could be deleted, but I don't want to lose the photos. How can I find out, and how can I create space?

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:34 AM

OK - first to double check - do you have "optimise mac storage" selected in Photos preferences (iCloud tab - see second screenshot)?

Assuming you do, then in the preferences general tab, look to see which library you have open. See screenshot. Is this the one that is taking up 76gig on your drive?

AND - is the "use as system photo library" greyed out?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 10:34 AM in response to rdmitchell

OK - first to double check - do you have "optimise mac storage" selected in Photos preferences (iCloud tab - see second screenshot)?

Assuming you do, then in the preferences general tab, look to see which library you have open. See screenshot. Is this the one that is taking up 76gig on your drive?

AND - is the "use as system photo library" greyed out?

Feb 1, 2021 11:03 AM in response to rdmitchell

Tony already explained the iCloud Preferences, but how much storage is your Photos Library using in iCloud? Even with optimise Mac Storage enabled you should expect that the optimised versions on your Mac will use at least a fourth of the storage size the full versions are using in iCloud, And Photos will be trying to use the free storage to keep your most recently downloaded photos stored locally in the full resolution, so you can work faster and do not have to download the same photo over and over again. But Photos should remove the full resolution versions automatically, when other applications need more storage. However, I would not keep more photos and videos in iCloud than will fit onto your Mac when fully optimised. How much storage can you afford locally on your Mac for your fully optimised Photos Library? Let's say, you can tolerate 20GB of photos stored locally. Then keep no more the 100GB to 200GB of photos and videos in your iCloud Photos Library. This is just an estimate. It will depend on the file format of the full-sized originals. my iCloud Photos Library of 200GB has a file size of 35GB on my Mac with the least storage.

If you want to force Photos to optimise your Photos Library quickly, see this user tip: How to force Photos for Mac to Optimise the Storage Immediately

Photo library consuming too much of my limited storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.