Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Photos library on my MacBook three times as big as my library on iCloud?

Why is the Photos library on my MacBook 101.32GB but my iCloud Photos only 31.32GB?

I have been trying to reduce the size of the Photos library on my laptop so that I can use iCloud Photos with the option to Download Originals to this Mac, but the Photos library keeps inflating. I have found and deleted thousands of duplicate images which appeared for no reason I can understand, and then erased deleted items. But the library is now bigger than ever.

What is going on and how can I resolve this?

I am using Photos Version 6.0 (350.0.100) on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) running OS X 11.4.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 4:36 AM

Are you by any chance using My Photo Stream in addition iCloud Photos? Or are you importing items manually from on iPhone? Combining iCloud Photos with other syncing services can create duplicates. Also running duplicate cleaners like "Clean My Mac" can corrupt the library so badly, that you will be left with dangling duplicates. have you been using any third-party application to remove duplicates?

If your library in iCloud is complete, and without duplicates, you could replace your existing library on your Mac by a fresh download from iCloud to a new, empty Photos Library.

Or do you have imported photos or videos to your library on your Mac, that are not yet in iCloud Photos?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 4:36 AM in response to Paul_1907

Are you by any chance using My Photo Stream in addition iCloud Photos? Or are you importing items manually from on iPhone? Combining iCloud Photos with other syncing services can create duplicates. Also running duplicate cleaners like "Clean My Mac" can corrupt the library so badly, that you will be left with dangling duplicates. have you been using any third-party application to remove duplicates?

If your library in iCloud is complete, and without duplicates, you could replace your existing library on your Mac by a fresh download from iCloud to a new, empty Photos Library.

Or do you have imported photos or videos to your library on your Mac, that are not yet in iCloud Photos?

Jun 19, 2021 12:51 AM in response to Paul_1907

It probably isn't. The library isn't a single file, it is a so called "package" (a hidden folder struture) and the top level size isn't updated properly.

To find out the true size, open the package (CTRL (0r right) click, and show package contents). DO NOT change anything in here if you don't want to irreversibly damage your library.

Check and add up the size of each of the subfolders. In reality you only need to size the "originals" (or masters, depending on OS Version) and "resources". The rest of the folders take up very little space.

Why is my Photos library on my MacBook three times as big as my library on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.