Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spontaneous internal crack MBP 13”

I bought my 13” MacBook Pro in February 2018 with AppleCare. Last night,I closed my laptop screen. When I opened it this morning (in the same spot I closed it last night) there were colored lines running vertically and horizontally from a black spot in the bottom right corner. After taking it to an authorised care center (not the actual Apple care center/genius bar), the tech said it was caused from force and would not be covered under AppleCare. There is no external damage, and I merely shut the screen, so I have no idea how I could have caused this, as the tech is claiming. I have made an appointment with the actual AppleCare genius for next week, but in the meantime, has anyone else had a similar problem? 

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 7:00 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 23, 2019 9:12 AM in response to Courtneypinter1

Apple's general position on the subject of broken glass screens is that Glass that has survived the rough shipment from the factories in the Far East and been deployed by the User does not crack spontaneously.

The clearance between the screen and the top-plate (where the keyboard sits) is very small, and the hinge arrangement means that the force applied to the glass if an object is left on the top plate is very large. Something the size of a staple left in a piece of paper can crack the lower bezel or the screen itself.

Every owner they talked to recently with a broken screen has said, "It cracked by itself!" -- including the owners of Macs presented with obvious dents from being dropped down the stairs.

They will be more than a little bit skeptical. But you should present your Mac for inspection and tell your story. Your results may vary.

Spontaneous internal crack MBP 13”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.