Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine not restoring since installing mojave

I have been using time capsule a109? with a 1 tb drive for years. Everything has been fine until I decided to do a test to make make sure everything was working correctly. I discovered that time machine was hanging up every time I tried to do a restore. I have four different time capsules and the same thing occurred with each one with each computer attached to it, I have three different computers attached.

Looking online it appears that everyone is having the problem when they have upgraded to Mojave.

I even hooked up a portable hard drive directly to my one MacBook air to try and do a backup band every store again restore did not function at all.

I apologize in advance to all the techies if I have not described problem accurately or presented my problem any appropriate way thanks for any and all help

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 9:33 AM

No need for any apologies. You described the situation with Time Machine (TM) backups to the Time Capsule (TC) perfectly.

You are correct in that you are not alone with this issue. Actually since macOS Sierra, TM backups to a TC, has become more and more unreliable. As you noted, TM backups to an external drive (or to a NAS) do not seem to suffer this same faith.

As such, a number of us have been recommending not using TM with TCs. Instead we use Carbon Copy Cloner for this purpose, especially now that Apple has abandoned the networking hardware business, your TCs are on "borrowed time."

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2019 9:33 AM in response to Rog88

No need for any apologies. You described the situation with Time Machine (TM) backups to the Time Capsule (TC) perfectly.

You are correct in that you are not alone with this issue. Actually since macOS Sierra, TM backups to a TC, has become more and more unreliable. As you noted, TM backups to an external drive (or to a NAS) do not seem to suffer this same faith.

As such, a number of us have been recommending not using TM with TCs. Instead we use Carbon Copy Cloner for this purpose, especially now that Apple has abandoned the networking hardware business, your TCs are on "borrowed time."

Mar 24, 2019 6:44 PM in response to Rog88

If any of your Macs is a desktop you can setup a large USB (or thunderbolt if you are really rich) and run it as Time Machine target. Since Apple got out of the router business and has moved Time Machine to SMB since High Sierra.. they also moved the TM extensions from server to the standard edition OS X.

https://www.howtogeek.com/330288/how-to-set-up-your-mac-to-act-as-a-networked-time-machine-drive/

There has been lots of issues with Time Machine to network targets since Sierra.. and much worse at High Sierra. I am surprised it does not work for you (if I am reading this rather convoluted sentence right) when you use a local target.

I even hooked up a portable hard drive directly to my one MacBook air to try and do a backup band every store again restore did not function at all.

If you have done upgrade installs of Mojave and have not reset Time Machine this can help.

Apple provided no way to do a reset so it is a bit hacky otherwise you need to do clean install. And a fresh Time Machine backup to go with it. (once you migrate your files).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8226283?answerId=32823910022#32823910022

APFS has not made things easier though. Apple clearly intends to develop the snapshot ability further but has not released useful applications for it.

For now CCC is a much more reliable way to at least have a working reliable backup.. albeit you do lose some of the Time Machine integration with the OS.

Mar 24, 2019 4:05 PM in response to Tesserax

To: Tesserax

Thank You!!! very much for your reply to my situation. I can't help but think that there has to be tens of thousands of Time Capsules out there still being used & I am surely disappointed if Apple has walked away from supporting this hardware.

I have spent the weekend exploring other options for backing up. I am going to follow your suggestion and use Carbon Copy Cloner. It appears to be the best of the offers out there for us Apple folks.

Thanks again for all o your help.

Sincerely,

Roger

time machine not restoring since installing mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.